In the Chief Nursing Officer role at Banner Lassen Medical Center you will have the opportunity to be a part of the C-suite executive leadership team, impacting all clinical aspects in a 25 bed critical access hospital environment with the support of a large healthcare delivery system. Your role as a subject matter expert with a proven track record as an Executive leader is having the strategic vision, thoughtful leadership and driving innovation as we continuously transform; requiring the ability to lead, execute and influence.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. This opportunity includes the option to participate in a variety of health, financial, and security benefits. In addition, this position may be eligible for our Management Incentive Program as part of your Total Rewards package.
Located in Susanville in northeast California, Banner Lassen Medical Center offers comprehensive care in a state-of-the-art facility to aid in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of illnesses. Our 25-bed medical center has a proud history of providing vital caring to the community since 1883. Though we are a small community hospital, we have invested in the latest medical equipment, including a 16-slice CT scanner, nuclear medicine, MRI, ultrasound, bone density, mammography and CAD. The hospital also offers infusion and oncology therapy, respiratory therapy and cardiopulmonary services as well as laboratory services, inpatient and outpatient surgery and a 24-hour emergency department. Away from work, you’ll find that our location at the foot of the scenic Sierra Nevada Mountains offers an unlimited variety of recreational activities, including fishing, camping, golfing, hiking and skiing.
This position has overall accountability for providing leadership, direction, and administration of day-to-day operations associated with direct patient care activities and clinical education and development, including continuous improvement of nursing services and staff to meet the needs and expectations of those served by the System, at assigned facility or campus while maintaining a high level of visibility at the facility, region and system levels. Ensures the realization of quality and economical health care services within established facility and system guidelines and philosophies. This position is responsible for driving, supporting and modeling a service-oriented culture focused on employee engagement, quality, patient safety, service excellence, fiscal responsibility, and the overall patient experience. Serves as a member of the executive leadership team at the facility and system levels, building and supporting effective collegial relationships with applicable internal and external constituents and stakeholders and ensuring optimal operating effectiveness and strategic positioning.
1. Maintains a working knowledge of current clinical practice and the regulatory requirements affecting that practice and exhibits the value of continuous learning. Demonstrates an in depth knowledge of healthcare economics and policy as well as the role of the governing body in the organization. Establishes and enhances a culture of evidence-based decision making in clinical and management initiatives. Articulates and models an emphasis on patient quality and safety. Understands utilization management and case management and their importance to the organization. Demonstrates this understanding by effectively managing risk.
2. Establishes a shared-governance structure and process. Maintains strong, credible relationships with medical staff, develops a community presence and builds connections with academic institutions.
3. Provides leadership, supervision, guidance and development for staff, articulating and demonstrating an expectation for continuous quality improvement, as well as continually supporting and exhibiting company values and service standards. Identifies and provides growth opportunities for staff.
4. Strategizes and drives process improvements focused on innovative care delivery and/or operational models designed to improve clinical services, outcomes, patient throughput, and patient safety. Promotes a patient-centered, healing environment. Promotes the use and implementation of technology in the workplace in order to streamline operations, facilitate communications, and optimize work processes.
5. Ensures and fosters a high level of collaboration within a highly matrixed team environment in order to coordinate activities, review work, exchange information, and resolve problems. Champions, models, and promotes service excellence philosophies and behaviors at the facility, regional, and system levels to enhance the overall patient experience.
6. Functions as an integral member of the hospital operations and system leadership teams, serving in an advisory capacity to applicable staff. In collaboration with leadership team members, directs and provides oversight regarding the strategic development, implementation, and maintenance of strong, comprehensive clinical and/or operational services and programs that meet system-wide organizational growth initiatives and the needs of patient populations in the community. Fosters the development and implementation of workforce initiatives effectively. Leads and influences change at the facility, regional, and system levels.
7. Along with other members of the team, promotes financial stewardship and clinical excellence for the facility in both operational and capital acquisition processes. Allocates financial, information, and human capital for improvement activities, ensuring the efficient delivery of cost effective services to patients, physicians, and hospital departments. Establishes performance measures, assesses and evaluates operations, and works with department management to assure efficient and effective delivery of services.
8. This position has administrative leadership responsibilities and is directly accountable for the quality and appropriateness of nursing care delivered to patients and contributes to the continuous improvement of nursing services and staff. Creates a region-wide focus of performance improvement and quality management and or serviceline development. Responsible for coordinating services with other administrators, internal legal counsel, executives, and other staff. This position has constant contact with staff members, frequent contact with other medical center division and department heads, and with medical staff. Customers of this position are both internal and external, including leadership, staff, medical staff, regulatory agencies, and the community.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline. The bachelor’s degree or the master’s degree must be in nursing. Requires a minimum of 7 to 10 years of current nursing leadership and management experience demonstrating progressive leadership development and competency.
Must possess licensure as a professional nurse (RN) in the state of practice. Proven experience and track record of strong nursing leadership that is customer focused, exhibits a passion for nursing, pursues continuous improvement, and advocates for patients’ and nurses’ viewpoints. Experience implementing and maintaining a patient-centered, healing environment. Proven track record of partnering with medical staff to achieve desired facility-specific and organizational outcomes. Knowledge of modern national trends in hospital technology, quality and patient safety.
Skilled in effectively handling multiple conflicting assignments, demands, and priorities with great attention to detail; coaching and developing direct reports and/or other employees; constructing new and innovative solutions to meet changing organizational strategies and goals; establishing, pursuing, and monitoring appropriate process and outcome measures for key initiatives utilizing a systems perspective; evaluating the processes by which clinical care and patient services are delivered, identifying areas for of opportunity, setting standards for outcomes, developing appropriate systems to monitor outcomes, and overseeing the implementation of process improvements; Excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills are essential. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Leadership style and characteristics necessary to effectively perform in this role include: strong work ethic; results-oriented; persuasive; motivational; able to make rational decisions in difficult situations; inspirational; honorable; confident; systems-thinker; innovative; life-long learner; courageous; high-energy; integrity; collaborator; ability to work with teams; good listening; nonvolatile; values multiple disciplines; and passionate about continuously improving and providing high quality care and service excellence to patients, families, employees and physicians.
Demonstrated progress toward FACHE certification or nursing leadership certification. Prior experience working in a highly matrixed organization and integrated delivery systems highly desirable.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
The safety of our team members and patients is of utmost importance, so Banner is requiring the COVID-19 vaccine for all team members, with a deadline to become fully vaccinated by Nov. 1, 2021. As members of the health care field, we are in the business of caring for people, so we take seriously our commitment to ensure our patients and teams are safeguarded from this rapidly changing and dangerous disease.
Banner Health is one of the largest, nonprofit health care systems in the country and the leading nonprofit provider of hospital services in all the communities we serve. Throughout our network of hospitals, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, physician practices and more, our skilled and compassionate professionals use the latest technology to make health care easier, so life can be better. The many locations, career opportunities, and benefits offered at Banner Health help to make the Banner Journey unique and fulfilling for every employee.
We are proud to offer a comprehensive benefit package for all benefit-eligible positions. Please visit our Total Rewards Guide for more information.
Banner Health supports a drug-free work environment.