Job Title: Accounting Specialist
Department: Back Office
Reports To: EVP, CEO
Full-time position Monday through Friday
M – Th 9:00 to 5:00, Friday 9:00 to 5:30.
Pay starting at $20.45 to $24.86, depending on experience.
Performs a full range of daily and monthly accounting activities, including maintaining accurate accounting records and posting journal entries; completing account reconciliations regularly, maintaining prepaid and fixed asset subsidiary ledgers, preparing various financial reports, approving wire transfers, reviewing the work and training of other department employees and serving as an accounting resource to other departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Balances bank statements daily and transfers funds as needed.
• Reconciles general ledger accounts as defined in the accounting department work plan and backs up team members when necessary.
• Compiles information from departments, and other resources and prepares journal entries as needed, including identifying and researching outages and communicates with other staff to investigate problems.
• Responsible for posting journal entries and balancing the prepaid expenses subsidiary ledger.
• Responsible for posting journal entries and balancing the fixed asset subsidiary ledger and providing asset tags to branches to track new purchases.
• Directs the preparation of tax forms, including sales tax returns, property tax reports, 1099/1098 forms, and annual information returns.
• Submits withholdings to state and federal agencies.
• Assists in the monthly closing of the general ledger system and generating the required reports.
• Responsible for posting journal entries of monthly and quarterly accruals.
• Assists with journal entries and reports related to investment activity, and monthly income recognition.
• Prepares a variety of reports for management, including complex spreadsheet reports such as the ALL and Risk Yield reports.
• Prepares the quarterly NCUA 5300 Report.
• Prepares financial statements and reports required by the credit union and external auditors. Meets report distribution deadlines.
• May serve as a backup for processing payroll
• Creates new department procedures and updates current procedures.
• Reviews the work activity and provides training of other department employees.
• Attends occasional early morning “all staff required” training meetings.
• Reviews contracts and performs due diligence responsibilities.
• Completes tasks and projects as directed by Senior Management.
• Completes other tasks and projects as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily; and with good research and critical thinking skills. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED), A Specialized degree or a Bachelor’s degree (preferred); or one to three years related experience and/or training in an accounting position; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Excellent research and critical thinking skills.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
General computer knowledge, and the ability to learn new programs needed for the job.
• Ability to run a ten-key by touch.
• Ability to type 45 words per minute.
• Must be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to interact tactfully and professionally with credit union staff as well as members and outside vendors.
• Excellent computer skills including the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Microsoft Outlook.
• Attention to detail and excellent organizations skills,
• Ability to maintain confidentiality when dealing with information of a sensitive nature.
• Must have excellent grammar and proof-reading skills.
• Must have excellent communication skills.
• Must have excellent research skills.
• Must have essential critical thinking skills.
Willing to travel and attend seminars. Some educational programs may require you to be out of the areas for several days. Must be available to attend staff meetings and training when required by management. You must be willing to work other than your scheduled time in cases of need or emergency.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be willing to work in a team environment and meet established deadlines.
• Must be willing to accept and to follow credit union policies and procedures.
• Problem solving where the development of new solutions, methods and systems will result in a major impact on the department’s overall success.
• Analyze situations or current practices and determine changes to improve and make recommendations to management, and when approved, see projects through to completion.
• Mathematical ability enough to add, subtract, multiply, divide, calculate averages, and work with percentages.
• Ability to communicate effectively by telephone, in group meetings and discussions. Ability to give and receive information accurately. Participate in routine meetings and make informative presentations to individuals and to groups.
• Ability to follow directions and procedures accurately and to organize facts and figures.
To apply, please drop your application and resume at:
2605 Riverside Drive Susanville, CA 96130Minimum Education and Experience