Under the supervision of Chief Financial Officer, the Accounting Specialist verifies and posts details of
transactions for funds received. Codes data for input into the financial data processing system according
to Turtle Bay accounting procedures. Creates invoices and monitors all receivables to ensure that
payments are up to date. The Accounting Specialist helps coordinate accounting projects and initiatives
along with other members of the finance team.
II. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintain strict confidentiality requirements for organization and staff information.
- Prepare accounting records and financial reports per company standards.
- Prepare deposits for daily pick up by the bank, and distribute transaction details for data processing
into our systems.
- Verify and import revenue transactions from Counter Point and Altru for posting into Financial Edge.
- Review, reconcile and monitor all receivables including grants, sponsorships, pledges, contracts and
- Generate invoices when necessary, and follow-up on any unpaid accounts receivable balances.
- Maintain and review the deferred revenue general ledger accounts.
- Review and balance Gift Certificate reconciliation reports.
- Maintain and reconcile the Admin/Finance petty cash account.
- Lead quarterly audits of all cash on hand accounts and petty cash funds.
- Participate in the annual financial audit including preparing documents and answering questions.
- Create and distribute purchase orders, and maintain the monthly purchase order logs.
- Complete and process credit applications and assist with other outside reporting requirements.
- Order office supplies for the organization, and maintain the office supply inventory for the
Administration building. Keep the office supply area orderly and clean.
- Help IT maintain the organizations copiers including ordering toner, if needed.
- Post the outgoing mail and allocate monthly postage expenses.
- As a member of the finance team, assist other team members as needed, including entering accounts
payable invoices, assisting with greeting visitors, accepting deliveries, the weekly mail run and filing.
- Other duties as assigned.
III. SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Participate in Finance departments cross training, and assist the team as backup wherever needed.
- Serve as secondary/backup for bi-monthly payroll processing.
- Serve as secondary/backup for preparing sales tax returns and prepayments.
- Assist with the annual auction and reconciliation of funds collected for the event.
- Assist with the Garden of Lights event about twice a week during November and December.
IV. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum Associates degree in Accounting/Finance or a related discipline preferred.
- Three (3) to five (5) years accounting /finance experience
- Non-profit experience highly desired.
V. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of accounting and spreadsheet software required. Blackbaud’s Financial Edge and MS
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service focus.
- Excellent analytical, research and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work with direct supervision or independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be detailed oriented, well organized, and able to set priorities and execute multiple tasks within
- Possess a valid California driver’s license or be able to acquire within (10) ten days, and provide a
clean DMV report if requested.
VI. INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
All staff members play an important role in supporting and advancing the Turtle Bay’s mission and vision for our
role in the community. As such, we seek candidates who will share our path to:
- Support the museum’s mission to inspire wonder, exploration and appreciation of our world, and share
our vision of TBEP as a vibrant gathering place where our community is strengthened through education,
cultural engagement and economic growth.
- Uphold our core values in one’s day-to-day work including playfulness, real-world experiences,
interdisciplinary learning, community, lifelong learning, integrity, and sustainability.
- Contribute to a positive organizational culture based on respect, cooperation, professionalism and
teamwork, as we strive together to achieve our mission and vision.
NOTE: These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this job.Minimum Education and Experience