Tehama County Department of Education
Salary: $17.60 – $26.08/hr
Under minimal supervision of the Director, Human Resources, this position performs a variety of complex technical tasks and provides varied high-level administrative support to the various operational aspects of the Human Resources department. This position is in the Confidential classification and supports all of the administrative support elements of employer-employee relations’ matters which requires a great deal of discernment and discretion.
Essential Functions and Job Duties:
Any one position may not include all of the listed duties, nor do all of the listed examples include all tasks, which may be found in positions within this classification.
- Perform technical and complex administrative support tasks related to Human Resources function with the Department of Education and Tehama County school districts as directed.
- Assist with the on-line recruiting system with direction and guidance from Human Resources staff including maintenance of all job postings and reference libraries.
- Assist with the job opening process through the on-line recruitment system. Process applications for initial screening, communicate and coordinate with screening panel and interview panel. Schedule interviews.
- Provide technical assistance for managers, applicants, and job seekers through the application and hiring process.
- Serve as the initial point of contact for new employees through the electronic on-boarding process. Responsible for ensuring new employees receive and fill out all required documents prior to start date.
- Arrange various employment tests as directed.
- Maintain a variety of department calendars and make appointments as necessary.
- Greet visitors and provide information requested based upon discretion and departmental policies and procedures.
- Enter information and maintain a variety of databases including personnel files and related employer-employee relations information.
- Compile a variety of reports and statistical data for a variety of audiences including employer-employee relations negotiations.
- Create and prepare a variety of correspondence, documents, and forms independently with minimal direction.
- Establish and maintain filing/record keeping systems from both hard paper and electronic sources.
- Maintain confidential information such as personal employee information.
- Prepare purchase orders and maintain inventory of office supplies and materials.
- Coordinate arrangement for travel, meetings, and professional development. May attend meetings when necessary.
- Arrange workshops including flyers, speaker(s), facility, nametags, and other related tasks.
- Prepare departmental outgoing mail on a daily basis and receive, sort, and screen individual department mail.
- Understand, use, and stay current with a variety of computer programs.
- Serve as a backup to LiveScan technician as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Drive occasionally for department business (optional).
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade supplemented by training in secretarial skills or relevant computer software applications programs.
- Five (5) years of varied, progressive clerical support experience preferably involving some public contact. Can substitute two (2) years of work experience at the Administrative Assistant II level or one ( 1) year of work experience at the Administrative Assistant Ill level at TCDE.
- A varied combination of applicable post-secondary education coursework and experience will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Business letter writing (letters, reports and miscellaneous correspondence) and the standard format for reports and correspondence keeping within department specific protocols .
- Modern office administrative and secretarial practices and procedures related to the department assigned.
- Computer applications related to the work including: word processing , database, spreadsheet software, and web-based programs.
- Modern office administrative practices and procedures related to Human Resources.
- Techniques for dealing effectively with and providing a high level of customer service to all individuals contacted in the course of work. Deal effectively with a wide variety of personalities and situations requiring poise, friendliness, and diplomacy.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation; business arithmetic and basic statistical techniques.
- Principles and practices of data collection and report preparation.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Perform responsible administrative and secretarial support work with accuracy, efficiency.
- Provide varied, responsible secretarial and office administrative work requiring the use of tact and discretion.
- Understand the organization and operation of the Tehama County Department of Education and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Learn, interpret, and apply administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Respond to and effectively prioritize multiple tasks, phone calls, customer requests and other miscellaneous demands as necessary for assigned responsibilities.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Use a client-centered approach to all telephone conservations, giving information and responses appropriately and within department guidelines.
- Typing at a level necessary for expected job performance.
- Prioritize workload, recognizing legal and policy implications of decisions; effectively handle a variety of simultaneous functions in a multi-operational department.
- Learn, interpret, and apply administrative and departmental policies, laws, and rules with good judgment.
- Analyze situations carefully and adopt effective courses of action.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the general public.
- Operate word processing, database, desktop publishing, spreadsheet, and web-based computer programs as well as a variety of office equipment.
- Work effectively with constant interruptions.
To Apply: Go to edjoin.org/tcde and apply to the appropriate position.Minimum Education and Experience