RESPONSIBLE TO: Superintendent
PURPOSE STATEMENT The job of Administrative Assistant -School provides various responsible
clerical/secretarial duties in support of the daily operations within school office; establishes and maintains
records ensuring compliance with site’s financial, legal and administrative requirements; compiles and
distributes materials and reports; responds to inquiries from a variety of internal and external sources; and
supports a broad array of services provided to students, parents, administrative, instructional, and support
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Serves as a liaison to the public on the telephone and in person by providing a wide variety of information
regarding District policy; assesses and deals with office issues that may arise in daily operations.
• Organizes the activities of the Administrator and/or other District staff related to functions of assigned office and
coordinates with various other offices/departments.
• Assists in preparing board packets for Board of Education, typing of minutes, and may provide backup for Board
• Administers basic first aid and may distribute prescription medications as needed within established guidelines.
Distribution of medication is under the instruction of a physician’s order and within the parameters of California.
• Prepares a variety of reports, materials, documents and correspondence of a confidential and non-confidential
nature (e.g. letters, memorandums, bulletins, diplomas for graduation, guest passes for dances, routine reports
from data compiled, inventories, student award certificates, event programs, etc.) for the purpose of
communicating information, and/or creating documentation in compliance with established guidelines.
• Maintains school website.
• Arranges for substitute employees when needed and communicates regarding absences and scheduling with lead
• Compiles and processes a variety of documents and materials (e.g. discipline letters, collects fees, SAT and ACT
test scores, work orders, purchase requisitions, field trip requests, facility usage requests, time sheets,absence
from duty forms, travel requests, specialized reports, attendance reports, calendars, etc.) for the purpose of
disseminating information or preparing and processing reports related to assigned program/department/office in
compliance with District policy.
• Creates menus, reconciles food service accounts and monthly meal counts. Ensures meals are reported correctly
by cafeteria staff, data is entered into student meal tracking software, and correct data is conveyed for reporting
• Assesses needs and orders supplies following district procedure; maintains records and follows up with the
Business Manager when questions and problems arise.
Fort Sage Unified School District
100 D.S. Hall Street
P.O. Box 35
Herlong, CA 96113
(530) 827-2101 Fax (530) 827-3239
Dr. Keith Tomes, Superintendent
Crystal Jones, Executive Secretary
• Schedules activities (e.g. proper distribution of materials to a variety of departments, arrangements for
conferences, meetings, professional development, fire drills, travel requirements, personnel to proctor
assessments, facilities usage, etc.) for the purpose of completing activities and/or delivering services in a timely
fashion. Schedules activities (e.g. appointments, meetings, detailed calendar of events, due dates, testing sessions,
travel reservations/accommodations, facility usage, 504 meetings, etc.) for the purpose of making necessary
arrangements for school, office staff/administrator and ensuring proper tasks and activities occur as scheduled.
• Performs enrollment and withdrawal activities for the purpose of complying with established requirements,
including maintaining student Cumulative Records and completing student record requests.
• Supports assigned personnel (e.g. completing complex clerical tasks, assist in keeping office equipment
functioning, screening visitors, transferring calls, responding to inquiries, taking messages, relaying information
to appropriate staff, etc.) with the daily operations of school.
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the
• Responds to inquiries from a variety of internal and external parties (e.g. students, faculty, administrators, parents,
the general public, vendors, etc.) for the purpose of providing information, facilitating communication among
parties and/or providing direction.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job
conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating
standard office equipment including pertinent software applications; preparing and maintaining accurate records; and
screening telephone calls.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percent’s, and/or ratios; read
technical information, compose a variety of documents, and/or facilitate group discussions; and analyze situations to
define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the
functions of the job include: business telephone etiquette; concepts of grammar, spelling and punctuation; job-related
codes/laws/rules/regulations/policies; recordkeeping and record retention practices; and school safety and security
ABILITY is required to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events; gather and/or collate data; and use basic, job-related
equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined
and similar processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to work with a significant
diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with a variety of data; and utilize job-related equipment. Problem solving is
required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires independent interpretation of
guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific ability based competencies required to
satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality;
meeting deadlines and schedules; working with frequent interruptions; setting priorities; and establishing and maintaining
effective working relationships; accuracy and attention to detail; adapting to changing work priorities; diffusing
argumentative behavior; displaying tact and courtesy; multitasking; organizing tasks; and working as part of a team.
Works under limited supervision following standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating
others; operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform
the job’s functions. There is a continual opportunity to have some impact on the organization’s services.
EXPERIENCE: Job related experience is preferred.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent. Community college and/or vocational school degree with study in
job-related area preferred.
EQUIVALENCY: A combination of education, training, and/or job experience necessary to perform the essential
functions of the job.
REQUIRED TESTING: Pre-employment Proficiency Test may be required.
CLEARANCES: Meet employment requirements as applicable with state, federal, local laws and Board Policy.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
• 8 hours per day, 11 months per year, totaling 205 paid days. Holidays/Board Holidays as per school calendar.
• Benefits: Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits are provided by the District in accordance with current contract language
between CSEA and Fort Sage Unified School District. District cap in place.
SALARY RANGE: CSEA salary schedule placement:
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: some lifting,
carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger
dexterity. Generally the job requires 75% sitting, 10% walking, and 15% standing. The job is performed in a generally
hazard free environment.
TO APPLY, CONTACT:
Submit district application to:
Fort Sage Unified School District
P.O. Box 35 / 100 DS Hall Street
Herlong, CA 96113
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS WILL BE CONDUCTED
EOEMinimum Education and Experience