COUNTY OF DEL NORTE
Invites Applications for the position of
AGRICULTURAL BIOLOGIST / STANDARD INSPECTOR I/II/III
General Recruitment Information:
This recruitment will establish a list of candidates to be used in filling the vacancy as well as an eligibility list that may be used for future vacancies or temporary help for up to one (1) year.
Only online applications are accepted. It is the responsibility of each applicant to review the full job description and requirements. Resumes are encouraged, but will not be accepted in lieu of required application materials. Applications which are incomplete as of the final date to apply will be eliminated from consideration. Candidates who meet all the minimum qualifications may be invited to an oral interview.
Level I: $1,782.80 – $2,143.13
Level II: $1,954.18 – $2,351.46
Level III: $2,143.13 – $2,581.12
To inspect agricultural products, plants, seeds, and marketed commodities to assure compliance to government regulations; to determine the accuracy of meters, scales and other measuring devices; and to perform various office duties related to the inspection and regulation of these items and devices. This work consists of complex technical duties at an entry to journeyman level of classification. Employees in this classification receive direct and/or indirect supervision within a framework of policies and procedures.
Detailed Work Activities
Essential job duties may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
- Inspect agricultural products and related consumer goods including fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds, honey and eggs to assure compliance to government regulations.
- Perform inspections for the enforcement of pesticide laws and regulations.
- Inspects packaged and marketed commodities to assure proper quality and quantity.
- Verifies accuracy of various measuring devices such as gas pumps, vehicle scales, etc.
- Issues export certificates for plant products going to other states or countries.
- Inspects petroleum products and other sold commodities to assure veracity of labeling information.
- Inspects nurseries, ships, and other establishments and vehicles, which could harbor pests or health hazards to the County.
- Performs various pest control duties to detect and manage undesirable plants, animals, and insects located in the County.
- Sets insect and animal traps to determine presence and/or population of pests.
- Sprays appropriate locations for abatement of pests such as mosquitoes and tansy.
- Issues quarantine notices, shipping permits and other authorizations related to the Agricultural Department’s functions.
- Writes various reports, correspondence and other written material related to daily activities.
- Assists animal control personnel in the in the performance of their duties by issuing pet licenses, care of animals, capturing large animals, etc.
- Performs routine maintenance of departmental equipment.
- Performs related duties as required.
Any combination of education, training and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
Agricultural Biologist/Standards Inspector I:
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree in agriculture, botany, chemistry, physics, mathematics, engineering, or related field.
Experience: One (1) year of experience in agricultural and weights and measures inspecting.
Agricultural Biologist/Standards Inspector II:
- Possession of at least five (5) County Inspector Certificates issued by the State of California
Agricultural Biologist/Standards Inspector III:
- Possession of all eight (8) County Inspector Certificates issued by the State of California.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The laws, rules and regulations relating to the transportation of agricultural seeds, plants, and products in interstate and intrastate commerce.
- Methods and techniques relating to weights and measures inspections, investigation, and enforcement.
- The methods and techniques used in the inspection of seeds, plants, and produce to determine the presence of noxious weeds, plant diseases and insect pests.
- Principles, practices, and procedures related to Consumer Affairs investigation.
- Measure the accuracy of weighing and measuring devices.
- Perform minor repairs on departmental equipment.
- Establish and maintain effective public relations.
- Enforce notice of violation and other corrective actions relative to Agricultural/weights and Measures firmly and tactfully.
- Enforce corrections, non-compliance, seizure, or quarantine of violations to agricultural, weights and measures, and animal control laws and regulations with tact and firmness.
- Interpret and apply laws and regulations related to agriculture, weights and measures, and animal control.
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Supervise and prioritize the work of others.
- Establish and maintain effective public relations.
The County of Del Norte does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual preference, or disability in any of its programs, activities, or hiring practices. All applications will be reviewed and those individuals with backgrounds most closely meeting the needs of the county will be selected for further review. In the event of a large number of qualifying applicants, a written examination may be given to determine which applicants will be invited to attend an oral interview. An eligibility list will be established upon completion of the oral interviews. Expenses (i.e. travel, food, lodging) incurred in connection with the interview shall be the burden of the applicant. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Office prior to the interview/examination so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
Condition of Employment:
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, Del Norte County is required to verify, within three days of employment of any person, that he/she is: 1) a citizen or national of the United States; 2) an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence or authorized by the Immigration and Naturalization Service to work in the United States.
Disaster Service Workers: All County of Del Norte employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through State law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the County of Del Norte requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Work related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Del Norte County is an equal opportunity employer hiring employment eligible applicants. Disabled applicants who require special testing arrangements should contact the Human Resources Department prior to the filing deadline. In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, applicants must provide acceptable proof of identity or authorization to work in the United States. A thorough background investigation will be conducted prior to employment. The investigation may include reference checks, fingerprinting, credit check, driver history and inquiry to local, state and federal files to obtain criminal history information. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the selection process. Selection processes may include, but are not limited to, one or more of the following: application review, competitive screening, written examination, performance examination, and/or oral examination. This bulletin is solely for the purpose of announcing a job opening. It does not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained herein may be modified or revised without notice.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: