Modoc County is seeking a creative and highly motivated individual to assume the Agricultural Commissioner/Air Pollution/Weights and Measures/Migrant Center Program Manager position. The ideal candidate for this position will possess strong leadership capability, public service, ethical commitment, and demonstrated Agricultural Commissioner management skills. Candidates applying for this position should have the ability to work well under pressure and approach challenges with balance and consistency.
- Principles and practices of plant quarantine, weed, insect and rodent pest detection, and mitigation and pesticide use.
- Principles and practices of the nursery, seed crop and egg regulation, and quality control.
- Methods and requirements of air pollution measurement and control.
- Methods and regulations regarding the inspection and sealing of weighing and measurement devices.
- Principles and methods of hazardous materials storage and monitoring.
- Administrative principles and practices, including goal setting, program development, implementation and evaluation, and the supervision of employees.
- Principles and practices of budget development and administration.
- Principles and practices of equipment purchase, maintenance, and repair.
- Applicable laws, codes, and regulations.
- Techniques for representing the department and the county in meetings and negotiations with a wide variety of individuals and groups.
- Techniques for making effective public presentations.
Migrant Center Program Manager Examples of Duties:
- Interprets regulations related to assigned program(s), and responds to requests for information from the funding agency, program participants, and the public.
- Accomplishes finance and human resource strategies by determining accountabilities; communicating and enforcing values, policies, and procedures.
- Provides complex and sensitive administrative and programmatic support to the County and works directly with the County Administrative Officer regarding programmatic, policy, and budgetary issues.
- Developing Migrant Housing goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards; assists in coordinating with county-wide budget development.
- Determines analytical techniques and data gathering and obtains required information for analysis.
- Organizes directs and manages the functions and services of the County Migrant Housing Program.
- Develops and secures approval of the Migrant Housing budget.
- Develops fiscal projections for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies
- Ensures that the County Administrative Officer is informed of county program and financial status and the legal, labor, social and economic issues that may affect county programs and operations.
- Uses standard office equipment, including a computer, in the course of the work; drives a personal or County motor vehicle in the course of work.
Migrant Center Program Manager Skills Needed:
- Planning, directing, and reviewing the work of county and contract staff.
- Developing and implementing goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards.
- Compiling and reviewing budget figures.
- Independently perform professional analytical and programmatic work in the area(s) to which assigned.
- Carrying assigned analytical projects through, from data gathering to completion.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within policy guidelines.
- Compensation and wage structure, classifying employees, and employment law.
- Disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Maintaining and directing the maintenance of accurate records and files.
- Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence, and other written materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Any combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and skills is acceptable. A typical way of gaining knowledge and skills is outlined below.
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university with major course work in agriculture, biological science, or a closely related field, and four years of experience in agricultural inspection, weights and measures sealing or a field related to the work.
The qualifications in this posting list the major duties and requirements of the job and are not all- inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this brochure and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
For full job requirements and further info, please see the full job posting here: co.modoc.ca.us
Annual Salary: Depends on Experience (DOE)
Modoc County is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).Minimum Education and Experience