Job Description and Duties
This position is located at the Tulelake Border Protection Station.
These are Permanent-Intermittent positions with a maximum of 1,500 hours of work per
Under the general supervision of the Station Manager or Shift Supervisor, or the direction of
the Lead Plant Quarantine Inspector, the Agricultural Technician (Ag Tech) III independently
performs the most difficult and varied regulatory inspections on vehicles and commodities to
prevent the introduction of unwanted pests into California. The Ag Tech III acts as the
program expert directing proper inspection of vehicles for compliance with agricultural
commodity quarantine laws and regulations and the determination of admissibility of
Wage Rate: $17.64 – $20.05 per Hour
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Inspect vehicles (i.e., automobiles, watercraft, self-moving, etc.) to determine if plant
material (i.e., fruits, vegetables, plants, etc.) is present and to check the admissibility of plant
material based on quarantine compliance and freedom from pests. This requires verbal
communication and physical activities such as opening and removing containers, climbing,
stooping, and bending around and within vehicles.
- Read and interpret shipping manifests and quarantine certificates in order to determine the
contents and admissibility of commercial shipments.
- Use printed and electronic reference materials relating to the release or rejection of
shipments in order to determine the admissibility of private shipments of plant material.
- Complete on-the-job training (including manuals, computer programs, and videos)
designed to assist inspectors in order to learn and keep abreast of changes in regulations,
and vehicle inspection procedures.
- Sample and inspect rejected or regulated commodities for pest infestation by collecting and
carrying of samples and using a knives, fruit crushers, hand lenses, and microscopes to
- Compare collected specimens with samples or printed or electronic reference materials in
order to make a preliminary identification of common pests.
- Preserve and ship suspect pest specimens using the prescribed methods to laboratory for
- Dispose of rejected commodities by grinding, burning, or placement in dumpster.
Candidates may perform these essential functions with or without reasonable
- Experience: Completion of five consecutive seasons of California state service in the Agricultural Aide/Technician (Seasonal) series and an appointment as an Agricultural Technician II (Permanent Intermittent) or as an Agricultural Technician III (Seasonal).
- Physical strength and agility necessary to fulfill the requirements of the assigned work.
- Where driving is a requirement of the position: possession of a valid driver license of the appropriate class and a safe driving record as documented by the Department of Motor Vehicles within 60 days prior to appointment. (A safe driving record is one free from convictions in the past two years for repeated moving violations or a single serious violation such as drunk driving or reckless driving.) Applicants who do not possess this license will be admitted to the examination but must secure the license prior to appointment.
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
How To Apply
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations for the hiring interview process must request the necessary accommodations if scheduled for a hiring interview. The request should be made at the time of contact to schedule the interview. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations may be directed to the EEO contact listed on this job posting.
The Hiring Unit Contact is available to answer questions regarding the position or application process.
Please direct requests for Reasonable Accommodations to the interview scheduler at the time the interview is being scheduled. You may direct any additional questions regarding Reasonable Accommodations or Equal Employment Opportunity for this position(s) to the Department’s EEO Office.
Office of Civil Rights
The State of California is an EOE.Minimum Education and Experience