Job Title: Animal Services Associate
Job Time Type: Part Time (Less than 30 Hours)
Job Description: Under supervision, perform a combination of kennel and animal care work along with significant public interaction. Employees in this classification perform a variety of semi-skilled tasks in the routine operation of an animal shelter including kennel cleaning and sanitation, animal care including assisting with medical care; handling livestock and cleaning corrals; working with volunteers and rescue groups; data entry, filing, and record keeping; assisting the public with locating lost animals and adoptions; selling dog licenses; processing payments and paperwork for adoptions and owners reclaiming animals; assisting with euthanasia; to perform related work as required.
- Perform routine day-to-day tasks required for the general operations and maintenance of the animal shelter; *
- Clean and disinfect animal enclosures, cages, equipment, enclosures, walkways, and work areas, including vehicles, vehicle caging and other equipment; *
- Washes dishes and laundry; *
- Feeds and cares for a wide-variety of animals, typically dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, and may include reptiles, wildlife and livestock; *
- Assists compassionate and humane euthanasia and disposal of animals according to department protocols;
- Maintains detailed records and security of federally controlled drugs in compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations; *
- Greets public and answers phones in a courteous and prompt manner; *
- Takes lost and found reports over the phone and in person; *
- Works with police officers, park rangers and other animal control agencies to facilitate the intake and release of found animals; *
- Determines jurisdiction in order to accept animals or sell dog licenses; *
- Sells dog licenses to City residents; *
- Directs members of the public to the correct agency/organization that can best serve their needs; *
- Provides information relating to shelter policies, procedures and practices; *
- Provides advice on appropriate choices for animal adoption and proper animal care; *
- Accepts relinquished or stray animals and places the animal in appropriate housing according to species and special requirements; *
- Safely handles and transports animals from the shelter to the veterinary hospital or another shelter, as needed; *
- Updates computer files when receiving, treating, moving or assessing disposition of animals;
- Keeps accurate written and computer records and logs; *
- Bathes animals and performs related animal grooming and care; handles animals humanely and effectively under stressful situations; *
- Checks impounded animals for microchip to identify owner; *
- Releases impounded animals to owners; *
- Assists with vaccinations, intake exams and other medical procedures; *
- Provides special care when advised of animals requiring medication, treatment, and/or special needs; *
- Observes and monitors animal shelter population and reports behavior irregularities and/ or disease symptoms; *
- Identifies, segregates, and isolates dangerous and/or ill animals; *
- Performs a brief assessment of animal health and temperament on arrival; *
- Conducts a daily walk-through to assess animal safety and well-being; *
- Cleans and maintains building and grounds areas at the shelter, including janitorial work and grounds keeping; *
- Assists in opening and closing of facility; *
- Balances cash drawer and create daily deposit; *
- Assists in responding to disaster situations; *
- May perform animal behavior and kennel enrichment programs;
- Operates office equipment; *
- Scans animal records and files/archives animal charts according to protocols; *
- Uses social media and email to match lost and found animals and contact possible owners; *
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of: Basic practices and techniques for impounding and caring for a variety of animals, animal anatomy, breed identification, behavior and first aid treatment.
Ability to: Ability to perform heavy manual labor in varied assignments; understand and carry out oral and written instructions; establish and maintain cooperative relationships with co-workers; work with the public and remain courteous and professional in stressful situations; understand written and oral instructions, write clear and accurate notes; operate telephone, computer and copier; learn a variety of computer programs; complete register transactions on the computer and make change; read a map; learn to identify common breeds of dogs, cats, livestock and other exotic animals and reptiles; perform animal care and handling techniques, identify symptoms and behaviors associated with rabies and other common domestic animal diseases.
Experience/Education: High school graduation or equivalent. Education, training, and/or experience should demonstrate possession of the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
Additional Requirements: Possession of a valid California Driver License. Ability to successfully complete formal training courses on job-related responsibilities including possession or ability to obtain a certificate of euthanasia as provided by the State of California within 6 months of employment.
Education Level: High School Diploma or Equivalent
Knowledge of animal husbandry and shelter practices is desired. Six (6) months of experience working with domestic animals in a veterinary hospital, humane society, or other animal facility is preferred.
Requires a Driver’s License: Yes
Salary: 14.00 Hour
Job Application Methods Accepted: Via Company Website (Address provided below)
How to Apply: For a full description and to apply visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/chico
Company Website: https://chico.ca.us/
CITY OF CHICO
411 Main Street
Chico, CA 95928
Close Date: 3/3/20216 months of experience working with domestic animals in a veterinary hospital, humane society, or other animal facility is preferredMinimum Education and Experience