The Assistant Public Works Director receives administrative direction from the Director of Public Works/
Transportation. Exercises direct supervision over clerical, technical, professional and supervisory personnel.
May be assigned to act as the Director of Public Works/Transportation during their absence. Plans,
organizes, directs and reviews the activities and operations of the Public Works/Transportation Department
including roads, bridges, buildings & grounds, parks, cemeteries, animal shelter, airports, transportation
planning and emergency services. Coordinates assigned activities with other departments and outside
agencies. The major duties of this job include:
• Manages staff; prioritizes and assigns tasks and projects; disciplines, trains and evaluates staff;
counsels, coaches and instructs employees as required; develops staff skills and conducts
• Provides support, direction and coaching to subordinate employees in the areas of performance
management, problem resolution, planning and work assignments, and customer service.
• Develops, monitors, administers and implements assigned budgets; prepares special and recurring
reports, proposals and contracts; recommends and implements changes to existing policies and
procedures; Monitors and recommends cost recovery and fee adjustments.
• Directs department staff in the establishment of operational goals; provides fiscal controls by
monitoring purchasing and spending activities. Applies for and implements grant programs.
• Provides highly complex technical and administrative support to the Director of Public
Works/Transportation, County Administrative Officer, and Board of Supervisors or to outside
agencies, as assigned.
• Maintains liaison and coordinates the development and implementation of permits, plans and
projects with local, State, Federal and outside agencies and interests.
• Directs and supervises the establishment of maintenance program planning and financial evaluation;
provides oversight of maintenance techniques, service requests, complaint reviews, corrective
recommendations and operational problem solving.
• Directs and supervises capital project development, including programming, scoping and design;
conducts technical reviews of designs and monitors financial and construction aspects of projects.
• Supervises and directs project surveying, monument preservation and right of way acquisition
• Prepares, procures, and administers various professional services agreements, franchise agreements,
and capital project construction contracts.
• As appropriate, briefs the Board of Supervisors, advises the County Administrative Officer and/or
appointive boards and commissions on projects and long-range planning objectives.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
About Lassen County