1. Scope and Range of Responsibility: Under the direction of the Fiscal Director, assist in the planning, organization, coordination and direction of the company’s accounting, budgeting, fiscal planning, financial reporting and payroll operations and activities. Work involves performing technical accounting and fiscal management tasks as well as some oversight of day-to-day financial and accounting operations, including general accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll. In addition, this position will assist in the development and oversight of program and participant budgets and will provide fiscal integrity along with sound internal controls. The position is located in Quincy, CA, with travel throughout AFWD’s service area.
2. Organizational Structure: Reports directly to the Fiscal Director. The Fiscal Director reports to the Executive Director. This is an exempt position with the responsibility to assist the Executive Director and Fiscal Director in all areas of fiscal operations.
3. AFWD Mission: AFWD is a regional nonprofit providing workforce development and human resource services; dedicated to enhancing the quality of life throughout our communities, by assisting businesses, organizations and job seekers with their pathways to success. Shared values include Service, Integrity, Collaboration and People. See www.afwd.org .
4. Position Responsibilities: This position requires the ability to coordinate multiple tasks and oversee various functions to assure achievement of company objectives. Position Responsibilities are rated as part of the employee’s competency-based performance appraisal. Within the parameters established by the Executive Director and the Fiscal Director, and approved policies and procedures, the incumbent is assigned the following position responsibilities:
1) Identify and solve first level problems for accounting software users, including answering questions, providing advice and troubleshooting.
2) Participate in the planning, organizing and review of department policies, goals, objectives, systems and procedures; recommend changes as necessary.
3) Participate in the management of payroll activities and operations to assure timely payments and related disbursements to employees.
4) Monitor fiscal processes and procedures, keeping the Fiscal Director appraised of the department’s activities.
5) Monitors and assists with special funding project contract process and excel spreadsheets.
6) Assists in reviewing expenditures and contract requests with the AFWD Fiscal Department.
7) Prepares and enters adjusting journal entries as needed.
1) Regularly monitor functional areas of the fiscal department to assure compliance with NoRTEC policies and State and Federal regulations.
2) Review policies and procedures to ensure that adequate internal controls are developed and maintained.
3) Research, compile, analyze and direct the preparation and maintenance of a variety of interim and annual financial reports.
4) Assist with the audits and communication with auditors.
1) Assist in preparing and maintaining the budget including, compiling data, analyze trends, work with management team to address concerns.
2) Suggest changes to budgets to the Executive Director and Fiscal Director
3) Analyze monthly expenditures vs budget.
Other duties as assigned:
1) Provide backup for accounting functions as necessary and other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications, Essential Skills and Abilities:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, or business administration.
OR an equivalent combination of education and experience for the incumbent to perform the essential functions of the position.
- 3 years of increasingly responsible professional accounting experience involving budget management, financial planning, and/or program analysis work.
- Fund accounting and/or job costing experience.
- WIOA (or similar) program experience is considered a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Work independently with little or no direction.
- Build consensus and apply problem solving techniques in a constructive manner.
- Accept and carry out responsibility for direction, control and planning.
- Organize, prioritize, manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Exercise good judgment in analyzing and solving problems.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintain excellent attendance, be punctual and dependable.
- Possess a willingness to work long hours when needed to meet deadlines.
- Strong computer knowledge and ability to use software, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to travel, with little or no notice.
- Lift 25 pounds to waist height, turning, twisting and transporting same.
- Travel throughout AFWD’s multi-county service area is required. Overnight travel may be required with notice.
a) Must possess a valid California driver’s license and good driving record. Must provide proof of automobile insurance which satisfies California Law. Must meet minimum driving history to be insurable by AFWD’s automobile liability policy.
b) Ability to pass a criminal background check.
c) Provide “right to work” documentation upon appointment.
Alliance for Workforce Development, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
I have read the above position description and understand my responsibilities. I also understand that the Alliance for Workforce Development, Inc. is an “at will” employer. Therefore, any employee may resign at any time, just as the corporation may terminate the employment relationship with any employee at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice to the other party. AFWD does not have contracts for employment and does not have a progressive disciplinary policy.
Company: Alliance for Workforce Development, Inc.
Position: Assistant Fiscal Director
Status: Full Time
Shift: First (Day), Second (Afternoon)
Req #: 6686719
Date Posted: December 16, 2021
Location: 76 Crescent Street, Quincy, US, CA, 95971
Job Category: Management