Purpose and Key Results of the Position
The Assistant Miller will assist with overseeing the efficient milling of rice to meet LundbergFamily Farms (LFF) quality standards. This position communicates with the Mill Supervisor and Miller on duty regarding rice requirements, needs, and quality. Safe Quality Foods (SQF) responsibilities include practicing Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), performing Mill cleaning activities, monitoring Foreign Material and Metal Detection Devices (Magnets, Toyos), manufacturing safe foods, reporting food safety issues to the manager or supervisor, and inspecting facility prior to set-up.
• Back-up the Miller and Supervisor(s) during regular planned lunches and breaks and will also cover the Miller and Supervisor(s) when on planned or unplanned personal time off (PTO).
• Maintain a thorough working knowledge of all processes and equipment, including resolving problems with same. Ensure proper repair and maintenance of all milling equipment.
• Communicate with Miller on duty and Mill Supervisor in order to maintain the safety of equipment and provide a preventive maintenance program.
• Oversee and monitor quality of product produced. Communicate with Mill Supervisor(s) on a regular basis regarding milling and packaging schedules.
• Mill rice to meet production and quality requirements and determined rice yield standards.
• Oversee accounting for production of all milled rice products throughout each day.
• Utilize computerized inventory system (NAV), ensuring that personnel are trained on its use. Maintain accuracy of inventory system.
• Accurate inputs and upkeep of Milling Forms and Redzone Software for lot tracking and quality/sanitation auditing.Manage rice product to ensure all varieties are separate at all times within the milling
facility. Ensure that personnel are properly trained on the processes needed regarding the California Certified Organic Farms (CCOF) organic system plan for sanitation.
• Ensure the sanitation in mill and packing house area and outside mill perimeter are maintained.
• Coordinate with Quality Assurance on a daily basis.
• On occasion, operate forklift when assistance is needed in packhouse.
• Monitor and assist in the heat treating process for the pest management program Personnel Management
• Ensure compliance of company policies within all local, state, and federal regulations including, but not limited to, OSHA regulations and wage and hour laws.
• In absence of Mill Supervisor, supervise pack house employees in order to meet expected milling & packing schedules.
• Assist Mill Supervisor with the supervision and evaluation of labor staff ensuring the highest level of skill necessary to meet company needs and objectives. Assist Mill
Manager and Mill Supervisors with the completion of performance evaluations. Safety
• Adheres to safety programs in order to provide a safe and clean workplace for fellow employees within the regulations of all OSHA local, state and federal regulations.
• Complete necessary trainings to ensure all Lundberg certifications required for role are maintained as current. Certifications may include, but are not limited to, Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP), Back Safety, Forklift, Arc Flash, Confined Space, etc.
• Conduct confined space entries in compliance to LFF program requirements.
• Maintain required qualifications for confined space entries. Other
• Performs other assignments from time to time as requested by the Mill Supervisor and the Miller on duty to achieve department and company business goals.
• Maintain regular attendance in accordance with Lundberg Family Farms’ Attendance and Punctuality standards.
• Complete training required for position and maintain applicable certifications.
• Be involved in training for advancement in Milling & Technical Operations in the rice milling processes for a high-quality product.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
• Basic reading, writing, and math skills.
• Basic computer skills using the Microsoft platform (Excel, Word, Outlook) and NAV
electronic inventory system.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Excellent knowledge of rice milling equipment. • Demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues, supervisors and managers at all times.
• Work well under pressure in order to meet multiple, and sometimes, competing deadlines
• High school diploma or GED
• Forklift experience
• Mill experience related to food
• Experience with NAV
Work area is in an environment with varied moderate temperatures and high background noise. Position involves exposure to odors, dust, and mosquitoes.
Physical Requirements for Performing Essential Duties
Sitting/Standing/Walking: Approximately 100% of the time is spent sitting, standing and/or walking around work area with approximately 5% of that time climbing.
Speaking/Hearing: Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and supervisors.
Vision: Ability to effectively use a computer screen and interpret printed materials. Ability to visually inspect the milling of the rice and its packaging.
Lifting/Carrying/Filling: Ability to lift, carry, and hold up to 30 lbs.
Stooping/Kneeling: Ability to access equipment and supplies.
Reaching/Handling: Ability to input information into computer systems for approximately 20% of workday. Also retrieve and work with appropriate paperwork, equipment, and supplies.