HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT
Under direct supervision, primarily responsible for managing all student employment processing, workers’ compensation and unemployment claims, plus other routine Human Resources functions and special projects as assigned requiring familiarity with the services, policies, and procedures of the Human Resources Office.
· Reviews and processes all student employment actions in the HRIS to include requisitions, new hire submissions, job/pay changes and terminations ensuring accuracy and meeting established deadlines. Utilizes non-resident tax software as needed.
· Assists managers with disciplinary and termination documentation for student employees. Reviews with HR Director as required.
· Investigates student employee complaints under the direction of the HR Director ensuring proper procedure and policy are followed.
· Maintains driving authorization records and training requirements. Enrolls and monitors drivers in Employer Pull Notice program. Reconciles invoices and approves for payment.
· Processes workers’ compensation claims serving as primary liaison with the workers’ compensation claims processor. Responds to inquiries as required. Prepares and posts annual OSHA 300 log.
· Processes initial response to unemployment claims. Monitors third party administrator claims system and responds to further inquiries. Coordinates response to appeals and hearings.
· With the Human Resources team, trains staff and managers on various HR processes. Creates training documents as needed.
· Organizes annual alternative workweek election meeting all established deadlines.
· Responds to various employer inquiries (i.e. verifications of employment) and/or garnishments.
· Reviews and updates student job descriptions in collaboration with the position supervisor.
· Ensures employer mandated labor posters are up-to-date and posted as required (electronic and paper).
· Oversees the work of student employees in the absence of the HR Coordinator.
· Assists the HR Coordinator and Director with responding to employee inquiries as needed.
· Ensures the integrity of personnel records ensuring the strictest confidentiality.
· Assists with special/annual projects as needed (i.e. job fairs, audits, staff events, etc.).
· Provides front desk coverage as needed.
· Other related duties may be assigned.
CLASSIFICATIONS DIRECTLY SUPERVISED
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in an office environment, continuous contact with staff, campus community, and public.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Sit for extended periods; ability to use computer and other standard office equipment; ability to communicate with others both verbally and in writing. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Very occasional travel to training, staff events or conferences.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
· Personnel and benefits administration principles, practices, procedures and policies.
· Principles, practices, and procedures of workers’ compensation claim processing and reporting.
· Possess effective verbal and written communication skills.
· Perform and prioritize a variety of clerical assignments independently, accurately and efficiently.
· Maintain strict confidentiality.
· Maintain, update, organize and ensure the accuracy of records and data.
· Understand and follow office procedures.
· Learn office technology systems.
· Respond to routine inquiries and explain standard policies and procedures to others and problem solve as needed.
· Develop and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse population and demonstrate cooperative behavior within the course and scope of business.
· Work well under pressure meeting multiple and sometimes competing deadlines.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
· Two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience in an administrative support position required; or, a combination of education and experience.
· Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
· Experience in human resources strongly preferred.
· Software: UKG (formerly Kronos) Workforce Ready, Thomson Reuters Tax Navigator, PeopleSoft.
· A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.