The Trailkeepers summer internship program is a part time paid position at $15/hr for the months of July- October. Selected BYLT trails will have a Trailkeeper booth on alternating Saturdays during the hours of 8:30-11:30am to conduct outreach with the public. . We are seeking Trailkeepers who can commit to the full season of work. This opportunity is excellent for those who have a passion or interest in outdoor recreation, advocacy, and conservation work. The Trailkeepers will report to BYLT’s Community Engagement Manager.
Trailkeeper will be trained to perform the following tasks:
- Setting up a small information/outreach booth at the trailhead.
- Collecting survey data to help inform decision making about local recreational amenities.
- Provide information about native flora and fauna on the trails.
- Provide information about trail etiquette and safety.
- Oversee Trailkeeper volunteers that will be assisting the Trailkeeper intern throughout the season.
- Interest in public outreach and comfortable working directly with the public
- Ability to represent BYLT in a professional and positive manner
- Able to commit to Saturday shifts twice a month
- Collaborates and communicates effectively with others
- Positive attitude
- Ability to learn about BYLT trails and programs
- Ability to promote BYLT’s mission to gain community support
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Set-up and tear-down of tabling booth
Minimum Education and Experience
About Bear Yuba Land Trust
Bear Yuba Land Trust (BYLT) is a non-profit, membership-supported organization that works to promote voluntary conservation of the region’s natural, historical and agricultural legacy. With community support, the Land Trust protects and enhances meadows, watersheds, forests, farms and ranches, trails and parks. BYLT exists to protect and defend the working and natural lands of the Bear and Yuba River watersheds and empower healthy, resilient communities through nature access and education.
BYLT achieves our mission in the community through volunteer and intern support. Volunteers and interns assist with events, conduct outreach, build and maintain trails, restore preserves, facilitate youth education, provide administrative assistance and act as representatives of BYLT’s mission during every volunteer day.