Title: Bus Driver
Location: Mt. Shasta
Job #: BD-2108-01
Employment Details: Part-time, Regular, Non-Exempt
29 hours/week, 42.8 weeks/year
Shasta Head Start
Founded in 1965, Shasta Head Start is dedicated to providing comprehensive early childhood education, health, nutrition, disabilities, and mental health services to low-income children and families. Shasta Head Start’s 285 staff serve nearly 900 children and families in Shasta, Siskiyou, and Trinity counties.
We are committed to best practices in child development, education and family advocacy through the delivery of comprehensive program services in a timely and consistent manner. We strive to empower individuals and families to achieve their maximum potential in an environment which respects their value and dignity.
We are currently looking for a Bus Driver with a proven track record of safe transportation experience. If you enjoy hard work and innovation, building positive relationships, and providing quality services to children and families, you may be who we are looking for.
Under the direct supervision of the Head Teacher or Site Supervisor, the Bus Driver will safely operate a school bus over an assigned route to local or distant points according to a time schedule while transporting students, including students with special needs.
· High School Diploma or GED
· Must have the necessary ten hours training for the school bus driver’s special certificate
· Valid California Class B Driver License with bus driver certificate, P, and S endorsements
· DMV medical certificate
· Current T01 card
· Ability to write reports and correspondence, and read and interpret documents
· Ability to solve practical problems
· Ability to use CB radio
· Understanding of California Department of Motor Vehicles Bussing Regulations
· Ability to effectively communicate with children, parents, and staff in a professional manner
· Current EMSA CPR and First Aid
· Pre-employment requirements:
o Valid California Driver License and clean DMV record
o Criminal Background Check Required
o Pre-Employment Strength Assessment
o Pre-Employment Drug Test
o Pre-Employment TB Test
o Up to date records of pertussis, measles, and influenza vaccines
o Must be currently vaccinated for COVID
· Responsible for ensuring the safety and maintenance of assigned vehicle
· Responsible for the care and management of children
· Provide bussing and pedestrian safety training to center staff
· Ability to create and maintain bus routes
· Comply with and enforce both Shasta Head Start bussing policies and procedures and applicable state and federal laws
· Responsible for preparing periodic reports per Shasta Head Start bus driver policies and procedures
· Assist the center staff in maintaining a clean and safe classroom, preparation of children’s activities as needed, and promoting good classroom management skills
· Assists center staff with janitorial and facilities maintenance as needed and assigned
· Must be able to pass criminal background clearance prior to employment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tool or controls; talk and hear; stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms; use foot controls; stoop, kneel, crouch, squat, push and pull. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; crawl; and taste or smell. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 40 pounds, and occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 75 pounds. The employee must regularly lift, carry and/or move or cause to move up to 75 pounds. Ability to lift floor to knuckle 60 pounds, 12’ to knuckle 50 pounds, knuckle to shoulder 40 pounds, shoulder to overhead 20 pounds. Ability to carry two hand carry 50 pounds, one hand carry 50 pounds, push and pull up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Shasta Head Start offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
· Paid Time Off (PTO)
· 15 paid holidays per year
· Extensive training opportunities
Please visit our website, www.shastaheadstart.org, to review the job description, view other open positions, and to apply for this position. Unofficial Transcripts and/or proof of degree required. To complete your application please submit transcripts or proof of degree via fax to (530) 243-8601 or mail to 375 Lake Blvd., Suite #100 Redding, CA 96003.
Shasta Head Start is an Equal Opportunity EmployerMinimum Education and Experience