Job Title: Business Service Representative
FSLA Job Status: Non-Exempt
Manager: Business Service Manager
Starting Salary: $24.00 – $29.17 hour, plus applicable benefits
Category: Regular, Full Time
1. Mission of the Alliance for Workforce Development, Inc: AFWD is a regional nonprofit providing workforce development and human resource services; dedicated to enhancing the quality of life throughout our communities, by assisting businesses, organizations and job seekers with their pathways to success.
2. Scope and Range of Responsibility: Under the direction of the AFWD Business Services Manager, the Business Service Representative will be a direct liaison with businesses in AFWD’s service area and provide a full range of business services. Business services provided by the representative may be on a fee-for-service basis or as part of core services provided to employers. As AFWD’s direct liaison with businesses, the Business Service Representative enables AFWD to meet Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) contract requirements to provide business services. The position requires extensive time outside the office developing relationships with employers in addition to travel within the assigned County and/or travel throughout AFWD’s six-county service area, and beyond.
3. Organizational Structure: The immediate manager is the Business Service Manager, who then reports to the Deputy Director. The Business Service Representative will coordinate activities with members of the AFWD Business Service Team and will frequently interact with County Social Service Representatives and AFWD staff assigned to Adult and Youth Programs.
4. Position Responsibilities and Duties: Position responsibilities are rated as part of the employee’s competency-based performance appraisal. Within the parameters established by the Manager, and approved policies and procedures, the Business Service Representative is assigned the following position responsibilities and duties:
a) Provide Business Information Exchange, Employee Training and Public Policy information.
1. Facilitate and/or directly provide group presentations and training, including workshops, seminars, town meetings, and/or economic summits.
2. Provide one-on-one consultation to business clients, including access to resource libraries.
3. Assist business clients with access to local, State and/or Federal public policy information.
4. To the extent financially feasible, and as coordinated with Job Seeker Programs, provide new hires and incumbent workers with skills upgrade training opportunities, on-the-job training, classroom training, customized training, and internet-based training.
5. Be a direct liaison with area businesses and display the ability to translate the client’s business plan and goals into human resource capabilities needed to achieve results.
6. Handle complex questions and concerns for clients.
7. Display exceptionally strong communication skills, both oral and written, to provide final products to the business client.
8. Proactively promote AFWD’s business services and seek new business relationships by outside business development activities and attending community, business and chamber of commerce functions to network with employers.
9. Maintain comprehensive client files to track and document services, as well as entering client service information in computer tracking systems.
10. Coordinate to the extent workable with partnering organizations, (e.g. EDD, SBDC, local government, colleges, etc.), to provide business consultation services. Encourage partner participation to meet business clients’ needs.
11. Other duties as assigned.
b) Provide Human Resource Support and solutions for area businesses, including services to facilitate Business Startups, Business Expansion, and Business Retention. Additionally, provide rapid response Layoff Assistance and Employee Recruitment services
1. Provide consultation to businesses to develop personnel policies and job descriptions.
2. Provide labor law information in a general manner, while referring clients to expert professional legal advice when applicable.
3. Assist clients with customized recruitments, including job postings / advertisements, job fairs, and interviewing.
4. Assist business looking to startup and/or expand with accessing funding sources and information regarding tax incentives, marketing, location analysis, and Federal/State I.D. numbers.
5. To foster business retention and minimize business closures, strive to provide services to achieve a stable and prosperous business community, including specific services to minimize lay-offs and keep businesses from closing and leaving the area.
6. In the event of a lay-off, provide rapid response assistance, including orientation to America’s Job Center of California (AJCC) services, needs surveys, and job seeker services to impacted employees. In addition, provide the employer with information to assist with planning and compliance with lawful termination requirements.
7. Other duties as assigned.
c) Actively participate on teams and work collaboratively to meet objectives and solve problems.
1. Provide leadership and work collaboratively on AFWD’s multi-functional Business First Team and other cross-functional task forces.
2. Coordinate effectively and independently with job seeker program staff, AJCC staff and representatives of partner organizations.
3. Provide support as requested by AFWD’s Management- level staff to facilitate AJCC objectives. In the event of conflicting support requirements, notify your manager to assist with setting priorities.
4. Other duties as assigned.
5. Essential Functions
a) Exercise good judgment in analyzing and solving problems.
b) Maintain a high level of confidentiality.
c) Must be able to meet deadlines and produce accurate work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
d) Ability to use a personal computer, including word-processing, spreadsheet, and presentation graphics software.
e) Ability to type, accurately, 35 wpm.
f) Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to facilitate and/or instruct in a group-paced setting.
g) Must be able to work in a participative team setting and have strong facilitation skills.
h) Strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and a professional demeanor are all essential.
i) Must maintain a professional appearance, as compared to executive level employees in both the public and private sector.
j) Daily travel, with little or no notice. Travel overnight, with notice.
k) Operate a motor vehicle or arrange transportation to accomplish duties.
l) Maintain good attendance and punctuality.
6. Minimum Qualifications
a) High School Diploma or equivalent and a minimum of 3 years business development, recruitment and/or sales experience.
b) Bachelor’s degree preferred.
c) AA/AS Degree may substitute 1 year of required experience.
d) Attainment of the SHRM Essentials of Human Resource Management Certificate within 6 months of hire.
e) Work is normally performed at least 50% out of the office, (i.e. at the employer’s business site). Travel within the County and throughout AFWD’s multi-county service area is required. Overnight travel may be required occasionally. Must be able to travel and operate a motor vehicle or arrange for travel to perform duties. Must possess a valid California Driver’s License and have a good driving record.
f) Provide proof of automobile insurance which satisfies California Law, agree to a background check and work with youth and provide “right to work” documentation upon appointment.
7. Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This is largely a sedentary role at a desk or working on a computer. This would require the ability to lift office products and supplies, up to 25 pounds waist height, open filing cabinets, turning, twisting, kneeling and bending as necessary. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Alliance for Workforce Development is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs to perform the essential functions of the position.https://applicant.jobappnetwork.com/postings/9210751/application/contact-information?utm_source=afwd.orgMinimum Education and Experience