Following the close of the recruitment, qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the physical agility and written exams that are tentatively scheduled for Monday, October 4th, 2021 at 8:00 A.M.
Under general supervision of Shift Sergeant, maintains safety and security of the staff, inmates, visitors and facility. Processes and supervises inmates, providing a stable, coherent, and predictable facility where inmates, staff and visitors are relatively safe, and conditions are humane.
Essential Job Functions
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
- Maintains the safety and security of the staff, inmates, visitors and facility; schedules and supervises inmate activities and maintains discipline; may physically restrain uncooperative or disruptive inmates and take steps to avert fights, assaults, riots and escapes; conducts cell searches for contraband; conducts unit safety checks; monitors cameras, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors; inventories tools and supplies; accounts for inmates under direct supervision..
- Provides care for inmates; dispenses and oversees meals; provide security for the nursing staff who administers medications and oversees inmate hygiene and showers; schedules medical, counseling, personal and other appointments, and conducts visiting sessions; schedules transportation for appointments and visits outside of the facility; transports and arranges transport for inmates; documents all transports; delivers mail and allows inmates to make personal and legal phone calls.
- Conducts booking and release of inmates; searches inmates; collects and inventories property; completes fingerprints and photos; completes booking forms; upon release, returns all property and notifies victims; distributes records appropriately.
- Interviews and classifies all new inmates; researches and assesses criminal history and capabilities; assesses compatibility of each new inmate with others in the facility and makes housing assignments; re-classifies and re-arranges housing as required by inmate behavior; may supervise and monitor offenders detained under electronic surveillance program.
- Processes authorized release of individuals; maintains inmate’s property, financial and corrections records; files and distributes records appropriately.
- Supervises the cleaning and general maintenance of the facility; assures that inmates clean cell areas; assigns inmates to clean common areas, laundry and other maintenance details; directs and controls inmates while performing the assigned cleaning tasks; inspects areas and reports deficiencies; promotes acceptable attitude and controls behavior.
- Supervises inmate work crews, and controls the safety of the work environment.
- Performs inspections of the correctional facility areas to assure safety, security, and welfare of inmates and staff; assures all areas of the facility are free of contraband.
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency radio calls; interrogates and communicates with victims, witnesses and suspects in incidents; identifies and collects evidence; completes detailed reports and required paperwork.
- Transports and processes prisoners; testifies in court.
- Testifies at court hearings and prepares reports and materials requested and subpoenaed by the courts.
- Identifies, attends and conducts training and educational programs and seminars.
- Maintains vehicles and equipment in clean and effective operating order.
- Effectively interacts with Sheriff’s staff, County departments, outside organizations and other law enforcement organizations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
How to Apply: For a full description and to apply visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/buttecountycaMinimum Education and Experience