COUNTY OF DEL NORTE
Invites Applications for the position of
Child Support Specialist I/II
DEPARTMENT OF CHILD SUPPORT SERVICES
Salary: $1,403.91 – $1,804.62 Biweekly
Job Type: Full-Time
Working under close supervision, Child Support Specialist I is the entry/trainee level in the Child Support Specialist series. Employees in this class receive in-service training, and are given detailed instructions in the performance of duties related to child support laws, regulations, and a broad range of child support casework activities. As requisite skills and knowledge are developed, greater independence and the full scope of responsibility are exercised. Employees are expected to promote to Child Support Specialist II after one year of satisfactory performance at the entry/trainee level.
Examples of Duties
- Manages a general caseload consisting of child support legal actions and the establishment, enforcement and collection of child support payment obligations based on established guidelines.
- Coordinates appointments for personal interviews with custodial and non-custodial parents, employers, and attorneys.
- Develops and analyzes information for the establishment of paternity.
- Uses a variety of methods, systems and procedures for locating information on custodial and non-custodial parents’ assets, income, and liabilities.
- Evaluates income and expense data of custodial and non-custodial parents to determine and recommend child support payment obligations based on established guidelines.
- Responds to general inquiries and explains general child support laws, court orders, rules, regulations, and policies to public and staff.
- Participates in interviews to secure support agreements and to persuade responsible parties to make payments without recourse to legal action.
- Prepares and processes legal documents necessary for the Documents and updates customer information, contact information, case actions/history logs, and records using a state-wide automated system.
- Provides case status information, explains the complaint resolution process, and answers case specific questions for all involved parties ensuring the verbiage used cannot be interpreted as legal advice.
- Applies federal, state, and local codes, procedures, and rules in establishing and processing child support cases.
- Coordinates and/or conducts genetic tests when needed.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Note: The level and scope of the knowledge and skills listed below are related to job duties as distinguished between the two levels in the Definition section.
- Civil and criminal law, and Federal and California laws and regulations pertaining to the establishment, and enforcement of child support obligations.
- Sources, methods and techniques used to locate non-custodial parents, relatives and related persons, assets, income, and liabilities.
- Techniques and methods for establishing paternity.
- Child Support specific collection methods and techniques.
- Legal terminology used when explaining legal procedures to customers or the public.
- When and how to prepare and process a variety of child support related legal documents in a clear and concise manner.
- The structure and content of the English language.
- Basic mathematics and business arithmetic, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, percentages, and decimals.
- Apply specialized Federal child support laws and procedures as they apply to intergovernmental and international cases.
- Explain child support procedures, regulations, and requirements to individuals from a wide variety of educational and cultural backgrounds.
- Use effective interviewing techniques to interview a wide variety of people, over the telephone and in person.
- Use patience, tact and courtesy in firmly dealing with people who may be uncooperative, unreasonable, angry, upset, or hostile.
- Collect DNA samples to establish paternity.
- Use sound independent judgment to analyze factual information, situations, and people.
- Understand financial records such as tax records, income and expense reports, and employer earnings records to determine the amount of child support payment obligations.
- Compile multiple pieces of information clearly and concisely into an organized and understandable written report or oral presentation.
- Organize work and set priorities in order to meet critical deadlines with minimal direction.
- Exercise initiative within the limits of assigned duties.
- Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive or personal information.
- Establish rapport and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, courts, attorneys, other agencies, and the public.
- Be flexible and supportive of change.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments having conflicting deadlines.
- Effectively use computer and other resources to prepare and manage cases.
Qualifying experience or education may be combined in order to meet the above requirements. When combining education and experience; fifteen (15) semester units or twenty-two (22) quarter units equals six months of experience.
Child Support Specialist II
One (1) year of full-time experience performing duties of a Child Support Specialist I in a state or local government agency.
- As a condition of employment, the County of Del Norte will require proof of ability to work in the U.S.
- Position may require pre-employment drug testing, physical, and fingerprinting for a background investigation. A valid driver’s license may be required at the time of appointment and employees may also be required to drive their own car, provide proof of car insurance, and a DMV clearance. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- This recruitment will be used to fill full-time, part-time, and extra-help positions as vacancies occur.
- Government agencies accessing US government information, which include federal tax information must ensure that background investigation requirements for all agency employees and contractors that have access to federal tax information are consistent to the IRS background investigation requirements for access to federal tax information. A background check may be required if the position requires access to these types of records. Background requirements consist of three components which include, fingerprinting, citizenship verification and local law enforcement checks. State agencies must conduct investigation during time of hire and ensure a reinvestigation is conducted 10 years from the date of the previous background investigation for each employee that has access to federal tax information.
If supplemental questions are included as a part of this job bulletin, applicants may be rated based upon their responses to the supplemental questions. If rated, only those that are determined to be highly qualified will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
SPECIAL TESTING ARRANGEMENTS
Special testing arrangements may be made to accommodate applicants for disability, military, or religious reasons. If you require such arrangements, please contact the California Department of Human Resources, Merit System Services at email@example.com or 916-323-2766 upon notification that your application has been approved. Documentation from medical, military, school, or church officials outlining the accommodation request must be received by our office a minimum of five business days prior to a scheduled examination.
ABOUT DEL NORTE COUNTY
Del Norte County, where the redwoods meet the sea, is located in the northwest corner of California along the Pacific Ocean and adjacent to the Oregon border. The substantially rural county is notable for forests containing coast redwoods, some over 350 feet tall. These redwoods are the tallest living things on Earth, dating back over 2,000 years. Notably, the County is located in one of the few rain forests in the temperate region. The County is home to a multitude of unique plants and flowers, coastal bird and fish species, rocky primitive beaches and sea stacks, pristine rivers, and historic lighthouses. Del Norte County is home to several fun river and ocean activities, a variety of food festivals, including local seafood, a sanctioned BBQ cook-off, raft races on the beautiful and wild Smith River, and the very popular ocean stand up paddle board race. There are numerous hiking trails located within the national and state parks, as well as sponsored park events throughout the year. Star Wars enthusiasts will also recognize the County as being the location of some of the forest scenes used in Return of the Jedi.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: