The City of Redding is accepting applications for the position of Tree Trimmer in the Parks Division.
Individuals in this classification under general supervision trims, shapes, and tops trees using hand tools, power tools, and other equipment.
The City of Redding provides an excellent benefit package including health, dental, vision, life and long term disability insurance, paid time off and a CalPERS retirement program along with a great work environment.
We are looking for someone to:
- Operates hydraulic basket truck and works from an elevated platform. Understands the proper use of equipment, and the inherent safety hazards.
- Trims, shapes and tops trees using gas, hydraulic and power chainsaws, other hand tools and equipment. Plant materials properly trimmed, maintained, and fed.
- Clears and removes limbs and branches obstructing regulatory signs, and power lines. Obstructions are cleared promptly and efficiently.
- Hangs banners, and other special projects for City departments requiring a lift truck. Due care is exercised in the application of banners.
- Plants, stakes, and ties new and existing trees. All trees are properly secured to prevent damage and/or destruction during storms, or accidents.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications we’re looking for
- Knowledge of modern tree trimming methods, and safety practices.
- Ability to interact effectively with the public and employees.
- Ability to skillfully operate a hydraulic basket truck; operate gas and hydraulic powered saws, trimmers, and edger.
- Ability to operate chipper and stump removal equipment.
- Ability to work effectively in precarious positions at heights significantly above the ground;
- Ability to perform moderate and heavy physical labor, including lifting to 50 pounds.
Education, Experience and Special Requirements:
- Typical education would include a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Typical experience would include two years prior ground maintenance experience, preferably in tree trimming.
- Possession of the appropriate California driver’s license, or the ability to acquire one within ten days of appointment.
- Must be able to enter and work in confined spaces, participate in the Confined Space Program, and perform confined space rescue if needed.