SENECA HEALTHCARE DISTRICT
JOB TITLE: CLINICAL LABORATORY PHLEBOTOMIST/ASSISTANT
POSITION SUMMARY: Assist in preparation of specimens, operation of
selected equipment and clerical duties; pre-analytic assessment of submitted specimens to ensure specimen quality is suitable for processing. Perform blood collection by venipuncture and capillary puncture. Responsible to assist in the on-going data collection for workload statistics and other reports.
High school diploma or equivalent, AA degree preferred. CA State certification as
a Certified Phlebotomy Technician is required.
Phlebotomy experience preferred. Computer spreadsheet and word processing
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to spell and file accurately.
2. Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with personnel, patients, physicians,
and the general public in person and over the telephone.
3. Ability to operate and perform minor troubleshooting of clerical electronic
equipment, (FAX, telephone, PC computer, Lab information system
(LIS/EMR), connection to Lab Corp Reference Laboratory, etc.)
Responsible to: Laboratory Manager
Workers Supervised: None
Interrelationships: Work closely with all laboratory and hospital personnel and
hospital patients in a courteous and helpful manner.
Page 2 – Clinical Laboratory Phlebotomist/ Assistant Job Description
1. Perform venipuncture and capillary puncture as needed or directed on
patients in an empathetic manner per established protocols.
2. Possess knowledge/verify all specimen requirements for the various tests
performed in the laboratory and those tests sent to reference laboratories.
Be familiar with the policy for TDM testing and where to reference it.
3. Accurately enter tests requisition and billing information into the LIS/EMR.
Accession/label specimens, centrifuge and distribute in the appropriate areas
of the laboratory for testing.
4. Responsible for completing required laboratory forms and proper distribution
of completed reports, including filing and faxing per established protocol.
5. Prepare requisitions (paper or electronic) and specimens for sending to
reference laboratories. Validate that the testing manifest is complete before
sending the electronic order to reference laboratory.
6. FAX copies of reports as necessary to ensure all physicians of record receive a report.
7. Record temperatures of ambient room air, refrigerators, incubators, freezers and heat blocks daily. Also, verify blood bank stock and prepare stock
rotations for shipping per established protocol (usually every other Monday).
8. Comply with OSHA mandated Universal Precautions and adhere to all
hospital and laboratory safety requirements.
9. Wipe down all work surfaces, including phlebotomy trays, phlebotomy chair,
and phlebotomy cabinet 2x per day with sanitizing solution. Wipe down
keyboards, door latches, telephone headsets, computer mice, etc., in the
10. Assist in the cleaning/sanitizing of the laboratory work area/benches, and
maintain stock of phlebotomy supplies, specimen bags and necessary forms.
Page 3 – Clinical Laboratory Phlebotomist/Assistant
11. Verify AM billing report from LIS/EMR for completeness and accuracy against
original paper requisition orders received.
12. Maintain CONFIDENTIALITY of all pertinent patient care information to
assure patients’ rights are protected. No report or test result will be
discussed or disseminated to anyone but an authorized person.
13. Attend and participate in in-service educational classes and on-the-job
training programs as directed.
14. Follow and know all general/departmental safety, security, and health policies
and procedures. Utilize all safe work practices and personal protective
equipment as per safety policy.
15. Complete annual employment health requirements in a timely manner.
16. Must keep all required licenses and certifications current, including annual
17. Review, initial, and date all Laboratory Policy & Procedure manuals
annually on the page designated for that calendar year.
18. Utilize spare time for the improvement of the department, including inventory
review, restocking and ordering of needed or soon to expire laboratory
19. Recognize and resolve problems within your ability.
20. Complete work and assigned projects as directed by the Laboratory Manager.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND BASIC SKILLS: See attached.
Follows safe work practices, takes an active interest in preventing injury or illness
and promoting a safe and healthful environment for self and others, and
complies with Hospital and governmental safety regulations.
Promotes professional growth of self and co-workers by participating in on the
job training, continuing education and assisting with training of new employees.
Page 4 – Clinical Laboratory Phlebotomist/Assistant Job Description
Assumes personal responsibility to comply with all Federal, State and local laws governing business conduct, conducts business in an ethical and trustworthy manner, and displays the qualities and characteristics of a professional at all times when dealing with patients, visitors, physicians, volunteers, and fellow
SUPERVISED BY: Laboratory Manager
ORGANIZATIONAL POSITION: Laboratory
WRITTEN BY: Dave Monday, BS, CLS
APPROVED BY: (If Union position Human Resources will discuss with
Teamsters #137 prior to approval)