Tehama County Department of Education
Application Deadline: 10/3/21
Salary: $17.55 – $24.37
Under the Supervision of the DHH program administrator, this position provides communication support and
other support services to students with hearing impairments who are placed in a Deaf/Hard of Hearing and/or
general education settings. This is the entry level position in the Communication classification and requires
special experience and/or certification.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB DUTIES:
Any one position may not include all of the listed duties, nor do all of the listed examples include all tasks that
may be found in positions within this classification.
- Assist certificated staff in classroom programs and training by reinforcing instructions and providing behavioral examples in social, emotional, and functional skills adapted to the students with special needs. Interacts with pupils in their activities, encouraging performance, observing progress, and sharing observations with teacher.
- Under classroom supervision, prepares materials and set up classrooms for training and instruction. Participates and assists in lesson planning and carrying out supervisor-assigned tasks to reinforce instruction
and/or tutor pupils. Provide tutoring and/or note-taking and other support services (such as photocopying,
typing, record keeping, etc.)
- Participate in educational team meetings providing insight on the success of communication strategies.
- Participate in lesson and program planning, staff meetings, and conferences. Enters into a helping relationship with the pupil under the supervisor’s direction to foster learning in an atmosphere of acceptance.
- Support the goals and objectives of classroom activities by preparing materials, obtaining required supplies or equipment; actively works with pupil during an activity, and assists with clean up after an activity.
- Provide necessary supervision in such activities as field trips, rest time, playground, meal service, and arrival/departure of children.
- Reinforce training and/or instruction by tutoring students using the student’s preferred mode of communication, including Manually Coded English, Pidgin Signed English (Contact Sign Language), or American Sign Language.
- Provide and demonstrate signed vocabulary to other students and support staff.
- Monitor the effectiveness of instruments/equipment intended to improve the students’ ability to receive auditory input. Maintain a log or record of these monitoring activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Other duties may include note taking and participation in meetings as a member of the educational team.
- Drive occasionally for department business (optional).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and skill is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and skill would be:
- Equivalent to the completion of twelfth grade.
- Passing score on Instructional Aide Proficiency Exam, 2 years college (48 units), or AA degree or higher.
- A score of 2.0-2.9 on the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) or Educational Signs
Skills Evaluation (ESSE-I).
- Hear spoken language communication.
- Use Manually Coded English, Pidgin Signed English (Contact Sign Language) and American Sign Language.
- Understand and use proper English, including vocabulary and grammar.
- Function as a member of the educational team performing support activities as required.
Go to edjoin.org/tcde and apply to appropriate position.Minimum Education and Experience