Nothing turns neighbors into friends faster than powerful moments of shared community engagement. CARD continually aspires to keep pace with community engagement and needs by offering innovative programs, sports activities for young and old, classes designed to teach people something new, explore artistic talents and improve abilities through a variety of activities. If you are passionate about being a part of an agency that promotes community engagement and recreation, than this position may be for you!
The Chico Area Recreation and Park District is looking for a dynamic and creative leader to fill this position. The ideal candidate will be a bold visionary with outstanding communication & marketing skills. Demonstrated success in team leadership and strategic planning is a must. In addition, the successful candidate will have a proven track record in their field, possess excellent oral and written communication skills and be confident, collaborative and posess good judgment. Under general direction of the Business Services Manager, the Marketing & Communications Coordinator is responsible for developing and implementing marketing and tactical plans, as well as creating much of the content, to promote Chico Area Recreation and Park District (CARD) programs, services, and facilities.
In addition to the positive work environment, CARD offers a fantastic benefit package that includes 80 hours of paid vacation, 80 hours of administrative leave, 12 days of paid sick leave, 6 additional days of holiday pay between the Christmas and New Year holidays along with thirteen (13) paid holidays throughout the year and, defined contribution of $1075 per month toward health, dental and vision benefits, and company provided Life Insurance and Employee Assistance Program.
This position participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS). Classic Members in this position will contribute 8% and New Members will contribute 6.75%. Benefits of CalPERS membership include:
- Classic Members (membership in CalPERS before 01/01/2013) – 2% @ 55
- New Members (membership in CalPERS after 01/01/2013) – 2% @ 62
Starting salary is $62,576 – $79,810 annually, depending upon experience. This position will be eligible for a step increase following the successful completion of a 6-month probation period.
ESSENTIAL AND MARGINAL FUNCTIONS: May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Creates and implements action plans, schedules, and methods for marketing and promotion of programs, services, and special events.
- Creative driver of comprehensive social media and web presence.
- Ensure the consistency of CARD’s brand and perceived community value (both internally and externally) through proactive, creative and strategic communication methods.
- Designs, coordinates, distributes, and promotes a wide variety of publications and marketing materials used to communicate the services and value CARD brings to the community.
- Serves as media spokesperson for television, radio, events, and social media using photos and videos.
- Visits program sites, events, and activities to take photos and/or videos.
- Sells sponsorship ads for marketing materials which may include the District activity guide, electronic/social media, and events. Includes managing current advertisers and acquiring new advertisers and sponsorships.
- Submits recommendations for marketing/advertising budget; administers and coordinates approved budget; prepares and monitors expenditures.
- Prepares, conducts, provides, and evaluates marketing analytical data, operational studies, and statistical reports on strategies and operations involving budget, organization, procedures, policies and administrative issues related to marketing.
- Designs and delivers a variety of public presentations and workshops; negotiates with and manages marketing/design consultants, organizes and coordinates volunteers, vendors, customers, and staff with special projects.
- Knowledge of capital improvement projects and new initiatives; provides signage and communication to the public related to these items.
- Drive a district vehicle or personal vehicle as needed to conduct District business.
- May attend meetings, training sessions and assigned programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Creativity and a strong eye for design and layout.
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in the fields of Marketing, Communication or Journalism
- Minimum 2 years of experience utilizing Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Constant Contact for promotional activities.
- Design experience and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite Programs (CS5), which includes InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat Premier; and maintaining website information.
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with Microsoft Word, Publisher, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Experience soliciting sponsorships and selling advertising space for print media, special events, and specific causes.
- Knowledge of the principals of marketing, customer service, design, and graphic design.
- Ability to edit photos and videos.
- Ability to effectively communicate and actively engage community, sponsors, and vendors.
- Ability to plan, create, facilitate, market and promote special events.
- Ability to compose press release material and distribute to local media.
- Ability to take program/event related photos and video for print and digital promotion.
- Ability to be organized, detail oriented, and plan 6 – 12 months in advance.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and write at a level necessary for acceptable job performance.
- Ability to be in compliance with and meet background check requirements.
- Possess a valid California Driver’s License and be insurable on the District’s vehicle liability policy
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Frequent sitting, walking, or standing for long periods of time; occasional bending, twisting, kneeling or squatting.
- Frequent lifting, pushing, or pulling up to 10 pounds; occasionally up to 25 pounds.
- Frequent grasping, holding, and reaching, including reaching over head or shoulder.
- Constant use of overall vision.
- Frequent hearing and talking in person; occasionally by phone.
- Frequent participant, public, and co-worker contact; occasional working alone.
- Occasional exposure to loud noises and large groups of people.
Work is generally performed in a typical temperature-controlled office environment subject to typical office noise. Occasionally work may be performed outdoors. Duties may include some recreation-related field noise or street noise. Will be required to work some weekends and evenings.
TO APPLY: Please follow the link below. Thank you for your interest.
CARD is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability,
or protected Veteran status.
If candidate is given a conditional job offer, they must pass a fingerprint background check (Live Scan). If Live Scan is passed, the employee will be required to provide original documents for physical review within 3 days
from date of hire, satisfying the Form I-9 requirements. Copies cannot be accepted. Examples of original documents include a driver’s license, ID card, unexpired US Passport, social security card, birth certificate.
About Chico Area Recreation & Park District (CARD)
The Mission of the Chico Area Recreation and Park District (CARD) is to provide recreation opportunities to the greater Chico Community in a coordinated and cost effective manner.