Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians
“Native Preference in hiring is given to qualified enrolled members of Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians and Native Americans in accordance with the Band’s Preference Policy (Chapter 1-715 of the Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians Tribal Policies). Applicants claiming Indian Preference must submit verification of Indian certified by tribe of affiliation or other acceptable documentation of Indian heritage.”
The Controller is responsible for planning, directing and coordinating complete financial functions for the Tribal government under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer. The position oversees the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records and internal controls and helps ensure that the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. It supports the department goals of managing financial risks, complying with regulatory oversight responsibilities, and meeting targeted financial goals and budgets.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual Financial Statements in a timely manner
- Prepares timely and accurate end of month closing, maintain closing procedures
- Ensures compliance with Tribal, State, Federal, and GAAP/GASB regulations.
- Supervision of Finance Department, including the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards
- Plans, organizes, assigns, directs, reviews and evaluates the work of assigned staff.
- Responsible for the annual audit of the Financial Statements.
- Prepares support schedules and reconciliations for quarter and annual reports and preparation for annual audit, assist in successful completion of annual financial audits.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining fiscal controls over Tribal programs, including preparation of required monthly, quarterly and annual reports in compliance with Federal, State and Tribal requirements.
- Maintains fiscal policies and procedures, keeping them current and compliant with changes in federal, state and tribal regulations
- Oversees general ledger and other reconciliations as assigned by the CFO
- Oversight and review of the preparation of accounts payable, including assuring complete and accurate records, compliance with internal control standards and coding and entry into A/P Module
- Oversight and review of the preparation of payroll, including assuring complete and accurate records, compliance with internal control standards and coding and entry into P/R Module
- Monitors and controls cash flow
- Assist in completion of annual budget and monitoring of compliance with budget limits
- Liaison for banking and investment relationships, assuring adequate controls and oversight of tribal accounts and assets
- Ensures control/protection of company assets.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Use Windows Excel, Word and other computer software and 10 key.
- Experience in accounting software, including A/P, A/R, Payroll and GL Modules
- Duties, responsibilities, requirements and expectations pertaining to this job are subject to change as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Accounting or equivalent from four-year college and five to ten-years’ experience directly related to the responsibilities noted above and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- CPA, CGFM or similar professional certification, or Master’s degree in related field is desired
- Five to seven years supervisory experience in an accounting/finance setting.
- Three to five-years’ experience in working with PC based accounting software, preferably MIP, Accufund or other governmental accounting software
- Experience in working in a governmental or tribal setting preferred, Tribal experience a plus.
- Experience in working with a Tribal Clinic preferred
- Detail oriented, familiarity with internal controls and documentation needs
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages and ratios to practical solutions.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of general business administration including personnel practices and employment laws, general accounting practices, internal control practices. (GAAP/GASB)
NOTE TO APPLICANTS
Please be advised a pre-employment Drug Test and a Department of Justice Fingerprinting clearance will be required as a condition of employment.
Local travel is occasionally required. Travel outside of the state is infrequently required. Typical travel time is generally less than a week.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Position may require exertion up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently or constantly lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians Chief Operations Officer objects. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
This position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting, and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision in proofreading correspondence and work related documents. Acute hearing is required. Typically, office work setting conditions.
How to Apply: Visit www.paskenta-nsn.gov/employment-opportunities to download the Application. Submit your application, resume, and references via email to Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.Minimum Education and Experience