Tehama County Sheriff’s Department
Red Bluff, CA
Full-Time with Benefits
Under the direction of the Correctional Sergeant, Lieutenant and/or Captain, supervises inmates detained in the Jail facility according to the laws, regulations and policies of the State of California and the County of Tehama. Enforces facility rules and maintains security. Assumes responsibility for the care, custody and confinement of inmates during an assigned shift.
Correctional Deputy I
$22.52 – $27.37 hourly / $1,801.33-$2,189.53 biweekly
$24.85 – $30.21 hourly / $1,988.33 – $2,416.83 biweekly
Examples of Duties
Supervises inmates at custodial facilities, during leisure time and on work details. | Ensures inmates are working on assigned projects. | Ensures facilities are kept sanitary. | Conducts security checks of housing areas, performs searches of inmates and housing areas, maintains discipline, opens and inspects inmate mail for contraband and security matters. | Maintains facility records. | Responds to inquiries regarding inmate detention and facility policies within the constraints of Department regulations. | Performs intake interviews and booking of arrestees. | Performs fingerprinting and photographs inmates, assigns prisoners to housing areas. | Releases prisoners on proper authorization. | Testifies in court and before disciplinary, probation, and parole boards. | Delivers medications to inmates. | Investigates incidents and violations of rules and prepares reports. | Collects and secures evidence of criminal activity or facility regulation violations. | Transports inmates to and from court proceedings, medical appointments, facilities and institutions. | Supervises inmates and visitors during visitation. | Supervises, guards and protects inmates during court proceedings; provides security for judges, juries, court personnel and the public during court proceedings; provides security for juries during deliberations. | Serves arrest warrants, summonses and subpoenas and other court papers to inmates. | Operates a centralized control system regulating inmate access and movement in the main custody facility. | Accesses and maintains confidentiality, accepts, logs and deposits monies for inmate commissary, fines and bail. | Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience & Licenses
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
CORRECTIONAL DEPUTY I:
- Equivalent to the completion of twelfth (12th) grade
- Experience supervising adults or juveniles in a controlled setting
- In addition to the requirements above, two years of experience as a Correctional Deputy I with the County of Tehama or the equivalent elsewhere.
Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
LICENSE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be eighteen (18) years old and a citizen of the United States; if a permanent resident alien, must obtain citizenship within three (3) years from the date of employment
- Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation prior to employment
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license
- Must not have been convicted of any felony, or of any offense prohibiting current or future possession of a firearm, or be the subject of any restraining order
- Must complete an approved Basic Jail Operations course within twelve (12) months of hire*
- Must complete a firearms training and certification course within twelve (12) months of hire*
- Must obtain and maintain current American Red Cross basic first aid and CPR certificates within 90 days of hire.*
*These courses are sponsored by the County of Tehama, at no expense to the employee.
In addition to the requirements listed above:
- Successful completion of an approved Basic Jail Operations course
- Successful completion of a firearms training and certification course in compliance with PC 830.1(c).
Mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment. Maintain mobility and physical strength and stamina to respond to emergency situations and apprehend suspects. Vision to maintain firearms qualification and to read printed materials and a computer screen. Hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone or radio. Finger dexterity to access, enter and retrieve data using a keyboard or calculator and to operate police services equipment. Positions in this classification frequently bend, stoop, kneel, reach and climb to perform work and inspect work sites. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects, more than 100 pounds occasionally and frequently 50 pounds or more, as necessary to perform job functions. The job involves fieldwork requiring frequent walking on uneven terrain, climbing and descending structures to access crime scene and to identify problems or hazards.
To Apply, visit www.governmentjobs.com and search for the job title.
In addition, Tehama County is establishing an eligibility list to fill future vacancies for a Correctional Deputy I / Correctional Deputy, as well as subsequent vacancies which occur during the life of the eligibility list.
For questions about this recruitment contact:
530-529-7718 | firstname.lastname@example.org