Tehama County Counsel Law Clerk
Tehama County, CA
Extra Help Position
Please note: This is an extra-help position, therefore it is utilized on an as-needed basis and does not qualify for benefits.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Under the general supervision of an attorney, The County Counsel Law Clerk assists in performing legal work involving the preparation of administrative and civil cases, including engaging in legal research and assisting with writing motions in preparation for trial. This position also performs related administrative and professional work as required. Additionally, this position receives supervision and direction from the County Counsel, Chief Deputy County Counsel, Senior Deputy County Counsel, or Deputy County Counsel I/II within the Office of the County Counsel, and requires no supervision of staff.
Examples of Duties
- Researches, drafts and presents legal briefs, legal memoranda, and recommendations based on laws, court decisions, ordinances and other legal authorities pertaining to County government and be prepared to defend those legal briefs, legal memoranda, and recommendations in order to support attorneys when advising County officers, department heads and political subdivisions on legal matters;
- Reviews and summarizes contracts, leases, purchase agreements and/or employee service agreements for use by attorneys and for file documentation;
- Drafts contracts, leases, and other legal documents for attorney review to assist in normal operations of the County government;
- Researches, drafts and presents legal briefs, petitions, ordinances, resolutions and/or court orders under attorney supervision for possible use in administrative and civil proceedings.
- Principles of civil law;
- Methods and techniques of legal research;
- Principles of legal writing;
- Preparing briefs and opinions
- Analyze, interpret, and apply relevant legal principles, facts, evidence, and precedents to legal problems;
- Present statements of law, facts, and arguments clearly and logically in written and oral form;
- Comprehend, digest, and summarize complex legal documents
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- County Counsel Law Clerk I: Completion of one year of study at an accredited law school and current enrollment in an accredited law school
- County Counsel Law Clerk II: Graduation from an accredited law school
License and Special Requirements:
Requires a valid California driver’s license.
Tehama County is currently recruiting for one (1) extra-help position.
In addition, Tehama County is establishing an eligibility list to fill future vacancies for an extra-help County Counsel Law Clerk I/II, aswell as subsequent vacancies which occur during the life of the eligibility list.
Please submit ALL required documents when applying such as, copies of all required degrees and/or certifications as outlined in the job description. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For questions about this recruitment, contact:
Tehama County Personnel | 530-527-4183 | email@example.com
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of background, fingerprinting, drug test (including marijuana)and physical examination provided by the County.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANT / VETERANS’ PREFERENCE POLICY /DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE