JUVENILE CORRECTIONAL TECHNICIAN I/II/III
Hourly Rate: Level I $14.02, Level II $14.99 & Level III $16.03
The County of Del Norte, Probation department is seeking a qualified candidate to fill one (1) vacancy for the position of Juvenile Correctional Technician I/II/III. This position is classified as temporary/extra-help. A standard application is required. Resumes are encouraged, but will not be accepted in lieu of required application materials. Applications which are incomplete as of the final date to apply will be eliminated from consideration. Candidates who meet all the minimum qualifications may be invited to an oral interview. This recruitment will establish a list of candidates to be used in filling the vacancy as well as an eligibility list that may be used for future vacancies or temporary help for up to one (1) year.
JOB APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- Carefully read recruitment flyer.
- Download and fill out a standard Del Norte County application on our County Site.
- This recruitment will remain open until filled. Applicant screening will take place on bi-weekly basis.
- Applications are required to be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax (707) 465-1470 or by mail
Attention: Human Resources, 981 H Street, Suite 250, Crescent City CA 95531.
- Candidates will be notified via phone or mail about their status within two weeks of the closing date as the recruitment proceeds.
- The Juvenile Correctional Technician observe and monitor the juvenile hall housing units through the use of audio and visual equipment as well as visual observation of the housing units under the visual control of the control room technician including responding to contacts with youths through the intercom. Monitors and controls electronic doors, entryways and exits from and into the facility and identifies alarms and responds with appropriate action. Maintains an accurate log of all activities and movements within the observation of the central control pod. Identifies and ensures appropriateness of all persons wishing to enter into the facility and control exit from the sally port. Receives and obtains necessary information about youths being booked into the juvenile hall. Enters booking information, including the medical and classification information, and merges
new data into prior arrest files with the active data processing system. Receives inventories and secures youth’s personal property and funds by means of logging money or personal items insuring that the items are appropriate and without contraband. Processes fingerprints and photograph records including forwarding to the Department of Justice for processing. May assist in the support of management staff assembling background materials, researching files for information and distributing materials within specified time frames. Follow all safety rules and procedures established for work areas. Comply with all relevant Del Norte County policies and procedures. Other related duties as assigned.
For a full detailed description of the job functions visit our Job Descriptions Page.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of education, training and experience which would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may be considered qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
Juvenile Correctional Technician I:
- Graduation High School Diploma or equivalent. Some college course work in related field is desirable.
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License.
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of appointment.
- Any combination of education and experience that will allow the incumbent to successfully perform the assigned duties.
Note: Must be able to successfully complete a comprehensive background investigation. Must be able to successfully complete a medical exam and psychological evaluation.
Juvenile Correctional Technician II: in addition to the above:
- Two (2) years satisfactory services as a Juvenile Correctional Technician I or equivalent position with another corrections agency.
Juvenile Correctional Technician III: in addition to the above:
- Two (2) years satisfactory service as a Juvenile Correctional Technician II or equivalent position with another corrections agency.
A generous package of benefits is provided, including: health and dental care benefits, life insurance, and a retirement plan. Paid leave: Vacation: 1-5 years of continuous service: 10 working days per year. Sick Leave: 1 day of sick leave with pay for each month of service from the date of employment. Holidays: 13 working days each year. Floating Holidays: 3 working days each fiscal year. Retirement: The County is a member of the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) integrated with Social Security. Group Insurance: The County pays a portion of the employee’s group health, dental, and life insurance premiums with dependent health and dental care benefits available at group rates.
Note: The information listed above is a general summary of benefits for this position. This information is not legally binding, nor does it serve as an employment contract.
The County of Del Norte does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual preference, or disability in any of its programs, activities, or hiring practices. All applications will be reviewed and those individuals with backgrounds most closely meeting the needs of the county will be selected for further review. In the event of a large number of qualifying applicants, a written examination may be given to determine which applicants will be invited to attend an oral interview.
An eligibility list will be established upon completion of the oral interviews. Expenses (i.e. travel, food, lodging) incurred in connection with the interview shall be the burden of the applicant. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Office prior to the interview/examination so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, Del Norte County is required to verify, within three days of employment of any person, that he/she is: 1) a citizen or national of the United States; 2) an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence or authorized by the Immigration and Naturalization Service to work in the United States.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Del Norte County is an equal opportunity employer hiring employment eligible applicants. Disabled applicants who require special testing arrangements should contact the Human Resources Department prior to the filing deadline. In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, applicants must provide acceptable proof of identity or authorization to work in the United States. A thorough background investigation will be conducted prior to employment. The investigation may include reference checks, fingerprinting, credit check, driver history and inquiry to local, state and federal files to obtain criminal history information.
All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the selection process. Selection processes may include, but are not limited to, one or more of the following: application review, competitive screening, written examination, performance examination, and/or oral examination. This bulletin is solely for the purpose of announcing a job opening. It does not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained herein may be modified or revised without notice.
Applications may be obtained from and submitted to:
DEL NORTE COUNTY HUMAN RESOURCES
981 H Street, Suite 250
Crescent City CA 95531
Call: (707) 464-7213
Fax: (707) 465-1470