DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
CUSTODIAN/OFFICE MAINTENANCE WORKER
$16.04 – $19.50 Hourly
$2,781.16 – $3,380.52 Monthly
This is a full-time, benefitted position
CUSTODIAN/OFFICE MAINTENANCE WORKER
Examples of Duties
- Sets up rooms for meetings or may move and arrange office furniture.
- Replaces light bulbs, resets breakers, replaces broken outlet covers, etc.
- Make minor repairs on toilets and faucets, such as tightening or replacing toilet seats, replacing faucet seals.
- Repairs, assembles or adjust furniture and shelving. May be involved with disassembly, loading and unloading on moving trucks, reassembly and setting up furniture in new locations.
- Conducts regular cleaning and sanitizing of restrooms, showers, hallways, lobbies, stairways, offices, drinking fountains, light fixtures and air vent fixtures using appropriate cleaners and disinfectants.
- Cleans floors by sweeping, mopping, stripping, waxing, refinishing with new wax and/or buffing floor surfaces.
- Cleans carpet by vacuuming, shampooing, spot cleaning, and/or deep steam cleaning.
- Washes windows, sills and glass surfaces.
- Empties, cleans, and lines waste and recycling receptacles.
- Hangs bulletin boards, clocks, and lightweight pictures and fixtures.
- Uses a variety of hand tools to accomplish maintenance tasks.
- Adjusts office workers’ desks for ergonomic reasons.
- May assist facilities maintenance workers with a variety of maintenance functions.
- Performs minor building maintenance and repairs, including basic carpentry, painting, and plumbing.
- Manages and coordinates the maintenance and repairs of the department’s vehicles (including oil changes, washes, tire rotations, etc.).
- Coordinates and supervises work crews used to assist in a variety of facilities and maintenance functions.
- Oversees the storage of files in the storage facilities, as well as the retrieval of old files from these areas.
- Makes routine maintenance checks on building and equipment to identify needed repair; keeps records of work.
- Assists in a variety of grounds maintenance activities.
- Basic repair and maintenance techniques, including basic carpentry and plumbing.
- Safe work practices.
- Perform manual labor, including moving and heavy lifting.
- Perform minor repairs.
- Use basic hand tools.
- Coordinate and organize work activities.
- Understand and carry out written and oral directions.
- Orally communicate effectively.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Paid or unpaid experience performing custodial or maintenance work.
- A valid driver’s license is required at the time of appointment and employees may also be required to drive their own car, provide proof of car insurance, and a DMV clearance. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Position may require pre-employment drug testing, physical and fingerprinting for a background investigation.
- Government agencies accessing US government information, which include federal tax information must ensure that background investigation requirements for all agency employees and contractors that have access to federal tax information are consistent to the IRS background investigation requirements for access to federal tax information. A background check may be required if the position requires access to these types of records. Background requirements consist of three components which include, fingerprinting, citizenship verification and local law enforcement checks. Applicable agencies must conduct investigation during time of hire and ensure a reinvestigation is conducted 10 years from the date of the previous background investigation for each employee that has access to federal tax information
If you would like to request Veteran’s preference points as part of the application packet, please attach a copy of your DD-214 to your application.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants, who receive a passing score on a written or oral examination, shall be eligible to receive credit for an additional five (5) points to be added to the final examination score. Veteran’s preference is allowed only on initial entrance into County service and shall not affect the order of eligibility on any other employment lists.
For the purpose of this section, a veteran is one who has received an honorable discharge from active duty, and has served:
- Sept. 11, 2001 to End of Operation Iraqi Freedom
- Aug. 2, 1990 to Jan. 2, 1992
- Jan. 31, 1955 to Oct. 15, 1976
A copy of the discharge form (DD-214) shall be submitted to CalHR MSS for each position applied for, along with an application for employment requesting such preference, on or before the final filing date specified on the job announcement. Failure to submit the required credentials (DD-214) prior to the final filing date will be deemed a waiver of credits.
SPECIAL TESTING ARRANGEMENTS
Special testing arrangements may be made to accommodate applicants for disability, military, or for religious reasons. If you require such arrangements, please contact Merit System Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 916-323-2360, a minimum of five business days prior to the scheduled examination date. Documentation may be required.
ABOUT TRINITY COUNTY
Trinity County is in Northern California between Shasta County and the Northern Redwood Coast. The County is roughly the size of Vermont, and is home to the Shasta-Trinity Forest, which is the largest national forest in California. The 2.1-million-acre forest encompasses five wilderness areas, hundreds of mountain lakes and over 6,200 miles of streams and rivers, including Trinity Lake and the Trinity River. These beautiful bodies of water provide plenty of opportunity for water sports and adventure, such as fishing, gold-panning, jet-skiing, skiing and kayaking. For those who prefer terra-firma, there are over 460 miles of trails, ranging from wide, easy grades to rough, rocky and steep grades for hikers, backpackers, and horseback riders of every level to enjoy. Many will also recognize the Pacific Crest Trail, a portion of which runs through Trinity County. Visitors and residents enjoy amazing natural beauty, a rural environment, and spectacular photo opportunities!
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: https://governmentjobs.com/careers/MSS