Modoc County Sheriff’s Office is looking to hire a Deputy Sheriff I/II that will work directly with our rural schools, Surprise Valley, Stateline and Tulelake with Tobacco Enforcement and Education.
Did you know that Modoc County’s tobacco and cannabis use is over double state averages? Our goal is to educate our youth on the dangers surrounding its use and get those numbers down! MCSO will be re-introducing the D.A.R.E. Program for Modoc Youth.
This Deputy Position will work primarily with the schools, be a M-F day shift and be sent to SRO and D.A.R.E. program training. If you would be a good fit for this three year position (that we hope to extend).
$3,997 – $5,905 Monthly | 5% step increase annually for the first 5 years | 10% BA Degree, 5% AA Degree | 10% Bilingual Pay | $500.00 Extra Pay for Resident Post | On Call Pay
Education and Experience
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
- Must be a United States citizen
- Must be in good mental and physical health as determined by a physical or psychological examination.
- Must be able to pass the Modoc County Sheriff’s Physical Agility Test (PAT).
- Must be physically capable of overcoming resistance of inmates when necessary.
- Must be of good moral character as determined by a background investigation.
- No felony convictions.
- Possession or ability to obtain a California Driver’s License
Deputy Sheriff I Requirements
- Basic law enforcement principles and terminology
- Safety principles, practices and equipment related to the work
- Standard office practices and procedures
- First-aid practices and procedures
- Techniques for understanding and effectively communicating with individuals of various cultures and socio-economic status, occasionally in hostile or confrontational situations.
- Basic computer applications related to the work.
- Must be willing to work off-hours, weekend and holiday shifts. Must be willing to be called-out in emergency situations.
- Equivalent to graduation from high school and successful completion of California Post Academy and Field Training Officer Program (FTO).
- Successful completion of one year probationary period and one year of experience in a law enforcement support or correctional setting.
- College level course work in a law enforcement and similar curriculum is desirable.
- Obtain a basic P.O.S.T. certificate within the probationary period; possession of this certification upon hire is desirable.
- Obtain and maintain firearm certification.
- Obtain and maintain first aid certification.
Deputy Sheriff II Requirements (In addition to the above):
- Must have two (2) years of experience as a Deputy I or equivalent of a Deputy I.
- Principles and practices related to sworn law enforcement activities, including patrol, crime prevention and investigation, evidence collection and preservation and case preparation.
- Laws, codes and regulations related to the work. Computer operations related to the work.
- Possession of P.O.S.T. basic Certificate and successful completion of full or modified Field Training Officer Program.
- This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.