SALARY AND BENEFITS
$27.85-$33.60 hourly, plus benefits package
Open until filled.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Deputy Director of Public Works/Transportation under administrative direction from the Director or
Assistant Director of Public Works/Transportation, plans, organizes, directs and reviews the activities and
operations of the Public Works/Transportation Department including roads, bridges, buildings & grounds,
parks, cemeteries, airports, transportation planning, and emergency services. Coordinate assigned activities
with other departments and outside agencies. Provides highly responsible and complex technical and
administrative support to the Director or Assistant Director of Public Works/Transportation, County
Administrative Officer, and Board of Supervisors, as assigned. Exercises direct supervision over assigned
staff. The major duties of this job include:
• Assists in the planning, organizing, coordination and direction of programs, activities, and
operations of the Public Works/Transportation Department with direct responsibility for facilities
including buildings and grounds, cemeteries and parks.
• Acts as sexton for County maintained cemeteries. • Assists in preparing the Public Works/Transportation Department budget; assist in budget
implementation; participate in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and
supplies; administer the approved budget. • Prepares plans, specifications and estimates for County construction projects; may act as County
contract representative and inspector on designated projects; administer various capital project
• Provides support, direction and coaching to subordinate employees in the areas of performance
management, problem resolution, planning and work assignments, and customer service.
• Directs department staff in the establishment of operational goals; provides fiscal controls by
monitoring purchasing and spending activities. Applies for and implement grant programs.
• Directs and supervises the establishment of maintenance program planning and financial evaluation;
provides oversight of maintenance techniques, service requests, complaint reviews, corrective
recommendations and operational problem solving.
• Directs and supervises capital project development, including programming, scoping and design;
conducts technical reviews of designs and monitors financial and construction aspects of projects.
• As appropriate, briefs the Board of Supervisors, advises the County Administrative Officer and/or
appointive boards and commissions on projects and long-range planning objectives.
• Performs related duties as assigned.