Tehama County Sheriff’s Department
Red Bluff, CA
Full-Time with Benefits
Please Note: Those currently attending a Basic Law Enforcement Academy are highly encouraged to apply; however, a letter of enrollment from the academy must be attached to your completed application.
Deputy Sheriff I:
$29.54 – $35.91 Hourly / $2,363.20 – $2,872.80 Biweekly
$32.61- $39.64 Hourly / $2,608.86 – $3,171.20 Biweekly
Under direction of the Sergeant, performs specific law enforcement duties on an assigned shift, which may include but is not limited to patrol, jail, court security, civil process, transportation, boating patrol, officer training, coroner, animal regulation, canine handling, etc. Prepares and maintains required records and reports.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Performs patrol, jail and/or civil process duties, including enforcing local and state laws, enforcing boating laws and regulations, issuing citations, making arrests, administering first aid, transporting prisoners, serving civil papers, assisting with initial investigations, gathering evidence, questioning witnesses and suspects, responding to traffic incidents, responding to alarms, processing prisoners, maintaining discipline and security in jail, maintaining court security and assisting with court procedures, transporting prisoners.
- May conduct routine death investigations and preliminary or follow-up investigations of incidents.
- Performs general public service duties, including assisting stranded motorists, directing traffic, providing police escort, and providing crowd control at community events.
- Assists with public education, juvenile delinquency, crime prevention, and other special teams and programs of the Department as assigned.
- May perform duties in specialized areas as required, such as photographic and laboratory work, fingerprinting, mounted patrol, counseling, canine handling, animal regulation.
- Assists in conducting effective training of new division personnel.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Deputy Sheriff I & Deputy Sheriff:
- Equivalent to the completion of twelfth (12th) grade.
- College level coursework in police science, administration of justice or a related field is desirable.
- Graduation from the Basic California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Academy.
Deputy Sheriff I: Two (2) years of experience in the law enforcement field performing duties such as Correctional Officer or Communications Dispatcher is desirable.
Deputy Sheriff: Two (2) years of experience as a Deputy Sheriff I with Tehama County or the equivalent elsewhere.
Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
LICENSE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Must possess a Peace Officers’ Standards and Training (POST) basic law enforcement certificate.
• Must possess a valid Red Cross first aid and CPR certificate.
• Must possess a valid California driver’s license.
• Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation prior to employment
How to Apply: Apply online by visiting www.governmentjobs.com and search for the job title.
- Cover Letter (A resume is NOT considered a cover letter)
- Basic Law Enforcement Academy Certificate or letter from Academy verifying current enrollment
530-529-7950 | firstname.lastname@example.org