JOB TITLE: Food and Nutrition Services Aide
DEPARTMENT: Food and Nutrition Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Food and Nutrition Services
JOB SUMMARY: Assist the Food Service Cook in providing meals and snacks to residents that meet their individual nutritional guidelines and preferences. Prepares food as directed by cook, maintains kitchen and dining areas in clean and safe conditions
EDUCATION: High School diploma or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE: On the job training provided in the Dietary Department.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Able to follow oral and written instructions
• Has knowledge of kitchen utensils and food preparation equipment
• Able to cooperate with supervisor and other facility staff members
A. Basic Job Duties
1. Ensures meal tray is prepared to meet prescribed diet, menu and resident specific preferences as documented on the tray card.
2. Read, understand and acknowledge use of the diet manual and working knowledge of various diets.
3. Prepares foods as directed by the cook or supervisor, according to the menu and manufacturer’s instructions.
4. Serve residents in the dining room with courtesy in a language familiar to the resident.
5. Receive food and supplies and store items in the proper temperature, with appropriate labels, and rotation schedule.
6. Measure and document temperatures in assigned areas such as dish machine water, sink water, refrigerator, freezer, foods as assigned.
7. Demonstrate how to use and calibrate thermometer.
8. Clean kitchen equipment, surfaces, floors and work areas with appropriate chemical in a safe manner.
9. Execute duties in a timely manner, and within the specified sequences and schedules.
10. Ensure that safety precautions and infection control policies and procedures are followed during the daily work assignments.
11. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
B. Staff Development Requirements
1. Completion of Food Handler Certification.
2. Attend and participate in-service educational classes and on the job training programs as scheduled.
3. Attend and participate in workshops as approved by supervisor.
4. Pass nutritional services competency checks as required by regulation.
5. Attend facility/department/staff meetings as required.
C. Safety and Sanitation
1. Maintains good hygiene and practices proper hand washing before and after handling any food or food used surfaces.
2. Report all malfunctions or breakdowns to your supervisor as soon as possible.
3. Ensure supplies have been replenished in work areas as necessary.
4. Assure that work areas are clean before leaving, such as on breaks or end of workday.
5. Familiar with Hazardous Material Management, location and use of Safety Data Sheets, and protective gear.
D. Resident Rights
1. Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent resident care information to assure resident rights are protected.
2. Knock before entering a resident’s room.
3. Honor resident preferences when feasible and medically appropriate.
E. Customer Service
a. Provide compassionate resident care services.
b. Establish and maintain positive interactions with internal and external customers, including residents, families, co-workers, vendors and other associates
F. Working Conditions
1. Works in Dietary areas as well as throughout the facility.
2. Stands, bends, sits, lifts, and moves intermittently during working hours.
3. Is subject to cuts, bruises. falls, odors, etc… throughout the workday.
4. Is subject to hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, personnel, visitors; etc.
G. Specific Requirements
1. Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
2. Possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
3. Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with co-workers, residents, visitors and the general public.
4. Ability to minimize waste of supplies.
5. Be able to follow oral/written instructions.
H. Physical and Sensory Requirements
1. Must be able to move intermittently throughout the workday.
2. Must be able to read and write the English language in an understandable manner.
3. Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
4. Must possess sight/hearing senses or use of prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of the position can be fully met.
5. Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with residents, personnel and support agencies.
6. Must be in good health and demonstrate emotional stability.
7. Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and at times hostile people within the facility.
8. May be required to lift, carry, push, pull and move office equipment, supplies, etc., in excess of twenty-five (25) pounds.
9. Must be able to assist in the evacuation of residents.
Position starts as Per Diem, but can lead to fulltime quickly.
To apply: Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Dietary Aide” in the subject line.Minimum Education and Experience