Tehama County Department Head
Full-Time with Benefits
Salary: $113,927.00 – $138,479.00
This is a contracted, at-will position with a three year term.
About the Position:
Tehama County is seeking a highly motivated, organized individual to join our team as the Director of Planning! This Department Head level position plans, coordinates, directs and administers the County’s planning, zoning and community development program, as well as provides direction and guidance to all Planning Department staff. The Director of Planning will work closely with the Board of Supervisors and the Chief Administrator.
The ideal candidate will be a detailed, engaged, collaborative, inclusive, and enthusiastic individual that possesses and employs big-picture skills and perspectives to address current and prospective local and regional planning matters and policy issues in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
About the Department:
The Department’s mission statement is “Building a Brighter Community one Plan at a Time.” Our priority is to provide efficient and effective services to those we serve, citizens, business and property owners, visitors, and stakeholders.
The Planning Department serves as the land use information center for the County. The Department functions as a professional staff to the Board of Supervisors, the Planning Commission, and the Airport Land Use Commission. The Department disseminates information to the public regarding potential development areas for residential, commercial, industrial, and resource development and management.
The Department is responsible for the maintenance and implementation of the County General Plan, the County Zoning, and implementation of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The Department processes development applications and permit requests for land divisions, use permits, General Plan amendments, zone changes, and variances. It also processes permits and enforces state requirements for the Surface Mining and Reclamation Act (SMARA). In addition, the Department functions as the Census Data Center for the County and disseminates information regarding population, economic, and housing characteristics and trends.
About our Community:
Nestled in the northern Sacramento Valley, Tehama County lies approximately midway between Sacramento and the Oregon border. The County sits alongside the beautiful Sacramento River and is only 50 miles west of Lassen National Park. Tehama County is the central point of widespread recreation; with nearby camping, hunting, fishing, golfing, snow skiing, and boating resources as good as or better than anywhere in California.
Tehama County is home to approximately 64,000 people. In our County’s small town atmosphere, you can experience the feeling of knowing your neighbors. Additionally, the mean travel time to work is only 23 minutes and the cost of living in Tehama County is lower than many other places in California.
Examples of Duties
- Develops and monitors the County-wide comprehensive planning program.
- Prepares and administers the department’s annual budget.
- Develops and recommends County regulations and ordinances pertaining to County planning and zoning.
- Supervises and evaluates the work of the professional and clerical personnel involved in implementing the County’s planning program. Authorizes the hiring and discharge of personnel as needed.
Requires Knowledge of:
- Principles, practices and techniques of public administration
- Administrative principles involved in developing, directing and supervising various programs of the County
- Government budget preparation and administration
Education, Experience & Licenses
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Planning or related field
- Five (5) years of professional experience in public sector planning experience including three (3) years supervisory experience
- Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Licenses & Special Requirements:
- Requires a valid California driver’s license.
The department is recruiting for one (1) anticipated vacancy.
In addition, Tehama County is establishing an eligibility list to fill future vacancies for a Director of Planning, as well as subsequent vacancies, which occur during the life of the eligibility list.
Please submit ALL required documents when applying such as, copies of all required degrees and/or certifications as outlined in the job description. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you have questions about this recruitment, please contact:
Tehama County Personnel Office
530-527-4183 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of background, fingerprinting, drug test (including marijuana) and physical examination provided by the County.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANT / VETERANS’ PREFERENCE POLICY / DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
Minimum Education and Experience