Job Title: Fire Prevention Officer
Job Time Type: Full Time (30 Hours or More)
Job Description: Under general direction of the Fire Chief or his or her designee, to implement a comprehensive fire prevention and life safety program; participates in firefighting, emergency medical services, rescue, and hazardous materials response as required; provides responsible and highly technical staff assistance; and does related work as assigned. May be delegated authority as Fire Marshal by the Fire Chief.
- Supervise a comprehensive fire prevention and life safety program; *
- Research and recommend improved fire safety and prevention policies, regulation, and ordinances; *
- Perform technical plan checks involving residential, commercial, and industrial projects as assigned; *
- Confer with developers, architects, contractors and other City officials regarding fire safety and prevention needs; *
- May authorize operational permits, as required by the California Fire Code; *
- Supervise and participate in the inspection of buildings to identify hazardous conditions and materials; *
- Conduct follow-up inspections to ensure code compliance; *
- Supervise and participate in investigations to determine the origin and cause of fires; *
- Prepare civil and criminal case reports; *
- Interview witnesses; *
- Supervise and assist in the selection, training and evaluation of assigned staff; *
- Supervise and assist in the development and delivery of public safety education programs; *
- Speak to public groups; *
- Administer weed abatement program;
- Operate Fire Department computers; *
- Respond to emergencies as required; *
- Subject to emergency recall during non-duty hours.; *
- Perform related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of: Principles, practices, and procedures of modern firefighting, rescue, emergency medical services, hazardous materials response, fire investigation and fire prevention; operation of firefighting apparatus and equipment; geography, types of building construction, water supply, and major fire hazards of the City of Chico; Federal, State, and local laws, regulations and codes pertaining to fire suppression and prevention; principles of combustion and hydraulics; principles and practices of supervision, budget management and performance evaluation.
Ability to: Implement effective fire safety and prevention measures; supervise and coordinate subordinates in an efficient and effective manner; conduct thorough fact finding investigations and enforce fire safety regulations firmly and equitably; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective, cooperative relationships with subordinates, other City employees, and the general public; maintain Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Automatic External Heart Defibrillator certifications; achieve State Board of Fire Services Prevention Officer III or Plans Examiner certification within one year of appointment; achieve the State Board of Fire Services Fire Marshal certification within two years of appointment.
Experience: Five years of full-time paid firefighting experience similar to the Firefighter classification with the City of Chico or three years fire prevention experience, including plan check/review or inspection.
Education: An Associate’s Degree in Fire Technology, Fire Protection Engineering or other related field; completion of the course work required to qualify for certification in the following: Fire Marshal or Plan Examiner and Fire Inspector II.
Additional Requirement: Possession of a valid Class C California Driver License. Possession of a current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation card required.
Education Level: Associate’s Degree
Requires a Driver’s License: Yes
Minimum Salary: 41.05 Hour Maximum Salary: 56.59 Hour
Pay Comments: DOE (Depends on Experience)
Job Application Methods Accepted: Via Company Website (Address provided below)
Company Website: https://chico.ca.us/
How to Apply: For a full description and to apply visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/chico
CITY OF CHICO
411 Main Street
Chico, CA 95928Minimum Education and Experience