Seasonal technician position assisting with forest management at Collins Pine Company in Chester, CA. Collins is a family owned FSC certified forest products company with lands in Lassen, Plumas, and Tehama counties, California. The position will involve field work under the supervision of a Registered Professional Forester. The person must be able to safely conduct field-based forestry work in all conditions of the northern Sierra & southern Cascade mountains. This position will start in the spring of 2023.
- Collect continuous forest inventory plot data.
- Timber cruising, conduct pre and post-harvest forest inventories.
- Mark timber for harvest.
- Implement various uneven-aged silviculture prescription regimes including layout of Group Selection units.
- Flag property boundaries, watercourse protection zones and other areas as needed for timber harvest layout.
- Assist wildlife biologist when needed.
- Collaboratively solve problems.
- Support forestry research projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education and/or experience in forestry, forest engineering, natural resource management, biology, plant biology, plant genetics, agriculture sciences, business, economics, or other closely related fields.
- Basic forestry skills and knowledge including timber marking, mensuration, forest management, logging, silviculture, and timber harvest planning.
- Curiosity and willingness to learn
- Collaborative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to perform field-based work in all terrain and weather conditions.
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to bend, stoop, reach, twist, stand, walk, climb, kneel, carry heavy items; pushing, pulling and lifting weights of up to 50 pounds.
- Work takes place outdoors during all weather conditions, therefore variable temperature and weather conditions occur.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
About Collins Pine
The family-owned Collins traces its roots back to 1855, when T.D. Collins began timber operations in Pennsylvania. By the turn of the century, the family had expanded west. Today we are based in Oregon and still family-owned. Collins produces these wood products: softwoods, hardwoods, NAF pine particleboard, TruWood Siding & Trim. Collins upholds their long-standing commitment to land and resource stewardship with more than 311,000 acres of FSC-certified forest lands, 5 manufacturing facilities in the US and one retail yard in California. Divisions are located in: Chester, CA, Kane, PA, and Lakeview and Klamath Falls, OR.