Gas Technician II/III
About the Position
The City of Susanville Public Works Department – Natural Gas Division operates and maintains a unique and complex natural gas system in Northeastern California. The Public Works Department offers a variety of training and growth opportunities among its various departmental divisions. The ideal candidate for this position will be a highly motivated team player with skills in natural gas operations, pipeline construction, and pipeline repair. The Gas Technician II/III works under the supervision of the Gas, Water, or Streets Supervisor.
- Gas Technician II: 4 years hands-on experience in construction and customer service in the natural gas industry
- Gas Technician III: 8 years hands-on experience in construction and customer service in the natural gas industry.
- Possession of a California Drivers License
- Class A Commercial Driver’s license or ability to obtain one within six months of the date of hire.
- Completion of operator qualification classes for gas pipeline construction, maintenance and safety.
- Skill and experience in the installation of natural gas meters and appliance conversion.
- Completed a Competent Person Training Class (trench safety).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in training of lower level employees and performing the duties of construction, maintenance, and operational activities designed to provide quality gas, water, street and drainage service for the City;
- Operates light and medium sized construction and power equipment, such as crew trucks, backhoe/ loaders, dump trucks, gas fusion equipment, air tools, safety equipment and be able to identify and locate underground utilities;
- Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance of projects as part of a crew, including pavement cutting, ditch digging, main and service line repair and new installations of gas, water, streets and storm drains;
- Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and inspection daily;
- Responds to emergency calls after normal duty hours as required;
- Assists with the planning, scheduling and implementation of construction, maintenance and operations of City water, gas and street departments (Gas Technician III);
- Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections, construction, maintenance activity, and monitors gas supply pressures within the City’s system (Gas Technician III);
- Inspects and/or repairs gas regulator stations on high or low pressure operating systems (Gas Technician III);
- Can determine the location of gas service line installations and meter sets (Gas Technician III);
- Responds to customer complaints on gas, water, or streets and can evaluate or rectify the situation and report findings to supervisor (Gas Technician III);
- Contacts residents and business owners in areas where service will be interrupted and explain why and when their service will be reinstated (Gas Technician III);
- Perform all duties as assigned.
Knowledge of or Ability To
- Perform all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards;
- Work cooperatively with others;
- Deal tactfully with the public;
- Follow oral and written instructions.
Salary and Benefits
The annual salary for the position of Gas Technician II/III is $36,410.66 – $57,862.74.
- With proper training, this position is eligible for additional compensation for standby duties.
The City provides the following benefits:
Vacation: 12 days of paid vacation leave during year one, increasing to 15 days in year two and increasing based on years of service
Sick Leave: 12 days of paid sick leave per year
Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance: $30 per month current employee cost
Retirement: The City participates in the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS). For legacy members, the benefit level is 3% at 60, employee share is 8%, paid by employees. For new members, the benefit level is 2% at 62, employee share is 6.25%, paid by the employee.
Holidays: 14 paid holidays per year
Deferred Compensation: voluntary plans available IRS Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan available 9/80 Work Schedule
Miscellaneous: Boot allowance
February 25, 2021 by 4:00 p.m.
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit :
- Cover letter; (2) resume; & (3) a City standard application in person, by e-mail, or by mail at the following address:
City of Susanville
Attn: City Clerk
66 North Lassen Street
Susanville, CA 96130-3904
Applications are available at the address above or at www.cityofsusanville.org.
Candidates with questions may contact the Public Works Department at (530) 257-1041.
The City of Susanville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.