Grass Valley School District
Position: Food Service Associate
Placement: Child Nutrition Salary Schedule D – 180 Day Hourly Employee
Reports To: Food Service Director and Manager
Works with Food Service Manager and Staff preparing food for meal programs and transport, keeps food service area clean, operable and completes paper work as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This position involves general food service duties such as food production and prepping and loading of delivery vehicles and delivering meals to various school sites. This position requires the ability to prioritize work as necessary, under fast paced conditions.
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
Assists in food prep, packaging and/or serving of food for various meal programs.
Follows food safety and sanitation procedures.
Performs general kitchen operations and related duties.
Drives to various sites for delivery of meals.
Loads and unloads delivery vehicles.
Checks that items transported are accurately accounted for when delivered.
Carries out written and oral instructions.
Must be cognizant of vehicle function and operation. Reports any malfunctions or defects or needed service to the Superintendent.
Knowledgeable of all California laws regarding the operation of delivery vehicle
Perform additional tasks and duties as assigned by the Food Service Director or Manager.
1. Possession of a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma (G.E.D)
2. Valid current California driver’s license. Employees in this classification must maintain insurability and possess a satisfactory driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required
1. Food Handlers Certificate.
2. Knowledge of Food Safety and Sanitation procedures.
3. Correct use, cleaning and maintenance of institutional kitchen equipment.
4. Knowledge of general kitchen operations and related duties.
5. Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
6. Work independently and have good organizational skills.
7. Ability to meet time schedules and perform work efficiently under fast paced conditions.
8. Ability to stand for prolonged periods. Significant physical abilities include lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, balancing, reaching, handling, hearing and near/far vision acuity.
9. Ability to work collaboratively and harmoniously with co-workers, school site staff and public.
10. Possess current and maintain California Driver’s License.
11. Ability to drive van or truck for deliveries.
12. Perform simple arithmetic. Count money.
13. Basic computer skills.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors and minimally outdoors.
2. The employee will work near or with moving mechanical equipment.
3. The employee may occasionally work with toxic or caustic chemicals such as sanitizing and cleaning products.
4. The employee must be able to work under fast paced conditions and meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
5. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
1. Standing and walking for extended periods of time. Occasional sitting.
2. Must possess strength, stamina and mobility to perform moderate physical work inside. Use of various food service equipment and drive a motor vehicle.
3. Use of hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
4. Frequently required to reach with hands and arms above the head and forward, bend or twist at the neck and trunk, squat, stoop or kneel, push/pull, bend or twist at the neck and trunk.
5. Lift and move materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds with the use of proper equipment.
6. Occasionally lift and/or unload food and/or equipment from trucks.
7. Frequent exposure to heat (ovens) and cold (refrigerators/freezers).
8. Drive a motor vehicle. Operate lift gate.
9. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
10. Hearing and speech to communicate.
Grass Valley School District is an equal opportunity employer.TB Test, Food Handlers Certificate.Minimum Education and Experience