Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Applications are available at all Tribal Offices or on the Internet at www.karuk.us The Karuk
Tribe’s (TERO) Preference and Drug & Alcohol Policy apply. If selected applicants must successfully pass a drug screening test and be willing to submit to a criminal background check.
Job descriptions are available online at: www.karuk.us or by contacting the Human Resources
Department, Telephone (530) 493-1600 ext. 2041, Fax: (855) 437-7888
Title: Information Technology Apprentice
Reports To: Chief Information Officer
Location: Happy Camp Administration Office
Salary: $16 per hour starting, $18-22 per hour after conditions are met.
Classification: Full Time, Non-Exempt, Entry Level
Summary: The IT Apprentice’s first responsibility is to install, maintain and troubleshoot computers, printers, telephone systems and other technology. The IT Technician is also responsible for creating and maintaining the Karuk Tribe web site and supporting staff development needs by assisting in user education.
1. Shall add, remove and update user accounts on various servers and systems.
2. Shall respond to user support requests and document work order status and completion.
3. Shall perform computer, printer, and telephone installation, maintenance and troubleshooting.
4. Shall perform software installation, updates, and troubleshooting.
5. Shall design, update, maintain and improve the Karuk Tribe’s web site and online presence.
6. Shall order, activate, upgrade and maintain the Karuk Tribe cellular phones and devices.
7. Shall deploy new computer desktop, laptop, and tablet computers to users.
8. Shall work with vendors and place orders for IT related equipment.
9. Shall assist Information Technology Director with major projects.
10. Shall perform technical work related to equipment repair. This includes calling support companies and performing hardware replacements.
11. Shall assist with pulling and terminating twisted pair and fiber optic network cables.
12. Shall be available for local and out of the area travel as required. Shall attend all required meetings and
functions as requested.
13. Shall be polite and maintain a priority system in accepting other position related job duties as assigned.
1. Have the ability to work effectively with Native American people in culturally diverse environments.
2. Have the ability to manage time well and work under stressful conditions with an even temperament.
3. Have the ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with other employees and
4. Have the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
5. Have the ability to work with little supervision.
6. Have strong communication skills including writing, speaking and phone etiquette.
1. Must have a high school diploma or equivalency.
2. Must have practical problem-solving skills and solid troubleshooting skills.
3. Must be a self-starter, well organized, and willing to learn new skills. Must be able to prioritize duties and
ensure timely completion of tasks.
4. Must have demonstrated ability to speak clearly and assertively in face-to-face, as well as telephone communications.
5. Must possess valid driver’s license, good driving record and be insurable by the Tribe’s insurance carrier.
6. Must adhere to confidentiality and HIPAA policies.
7. Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening test and be willing to submit to a criminal background check.
After meeting both of these conditions, a $2 per hour raise will be issued and the job title of the position will
change to Information Technology Technician:
1. Have been employed by the Karuk Tribe as the Information Technology Apprentice for 12 consecutive
2. Have successfully achieved the CompTIA A+ Certification.
Tribal Preference Policy: In accordance with the TERO Ordinance 93-0-01, Tribal Preference will be observed
Veteran’s Preference: It shall be the policy of the Karuk Tribe to provide preference in hiring to qualified
applicants claiming Veteran’s Preference who have been discharged from the United States Armed Forces with
honorable and under honorable conditions.