DEFINITION: Under general supervision, this role involves assisting the instructional staff in supervising classroom and playground activities of students and performing related tasks as necessary.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Setting up work areas, aiding teachers, and preparing materials for various subjects including reading, mathematics, social studies, crafts, and other instructions.
- Assisting teachers in providing individual support to students.
- Reviewing and correcting workbooks and assisting students with corrections.
- Assisting teachers in directing games and other physical education activities.
- Preparing classroom materials such as mixing paints, cutting paper, tracing patterns, and creating visual aids like flannel graphs, bulletin boards, charts, etc.
- Reading stories to students.
- Discussing any issues with problem students with the teacher.
- Setting up and operating audio/visual equipment.
- Assisting in supervising students on field trips.
- Assisting teachers with clerical tasks such as typing, duplicating, filing, and taking attendance.
Observing students at work and play and promptly notifying the teacher of any potential problems, whether academic or otherwise.
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge and Ability:
- Proficiency in English usage, vocabulary, grammar, and spelling.
- Familiarity with office supplies and equipment.
- Awareness of safety and health rules.
Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with both students and staff.
- Completion of the twelfth grade or its equivalent.
- Successful passing of the No Child Left Behind test.
- Regular participation in in-services throughout the year to reaffirm skill levels and identify areas that may need review (e.g., math, English, etc.).
- Previous experience in caring for and supervising young children in a learning environment is desirable.