Position Title: Job Coach
Program/Region: Jobs Plus / Butte County
Reports to: Job Developer
Classification: Casual, Non-Exempt
Compensation: $16.00 hourly
Agency Description: Caminar is a nonprofit agency with over 50 years of experience providing community-based support services for people with disabilities. Caminar services are designed to enable adults and older adults with mental health, physical and developmental disabilities to live and work in their community in accordance with their ability and desire. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for people with disabilities by providing opportunities to live in the community with dignity and independence. The agency employs approximately 300 of the most dedicated and professional staff serving the communities of San Mateo, San Francisco, Solano and Butte counties.
Position Description – Under supervision of the Program Director, the Job Coach is responsible for analyzing job tasks of clients of the Jobs Plus program so that s/he can provide on-the-job training. S/he must develop and maintain productive working relationships with employers and clients to ensure continuation of the good reputation of the agency for providing quality employees who have disabilities. This is an On-Call position with irregular hours and requires the ability to maintain a flexible work schedule Monday – Saturday between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide supervision to consumers with mental and/or developmental disability; Observe and assess consumers’ work skills ensuring that consumer’s work performance meets job requirements and employer’s standards. Identify client learning needs and make appropriate recommendations.
- Evaluate and document clients’ job performance; Provide constructive feedback as needed.
- Based on assessments write an exit report and meet with the consumer and Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) counselor to review report.
- Ensure consumer’s safety in the community by following established employer’s safety practices; negotiate work site accommodation (as needed) with the employer or volunteer site.
- Drive own or agency vehicle to job sites and other venues, as required; documenting and reporting mileage according to agency procedures, so that services can be provided in a timely manner; comply with agency vehicle policy at all times.
- Report suspected abuse of clients and complete incident reports in a timely manner.
- Act as a role model for clients, demonstrating productive work skills and professional behavior.
- Provide support services to clients, their families, employers, and care providers as necessary.
- Promote the services of Jobs Plus.
- Develop and maintain a respectful, caring, tolerant, ethical, and empowering relationship with all individuals served.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with other system providers and actively participate in meetings that affect the program, as assigned.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with employers in the community, encouraging them to accept people with disabilities as employees.
- Comply with all state DOR regulations and CARF standards, as well as all agency policies and procedures, Foster productive relationships with DOR as necessary.
- Ensure that all client records are properly maintained, stored, and kept confidential at all times.
- Attend training events as assigned by supervisor.
- Relieve other Job Coaches, as assigned.
- Participate in promoting a safe, healthy and clean working environment at all times consistent with applicable laws, industry standards and the agency’s own Health & Safety Program.
- Complete and submit accurate time sheets and absence reports to program management in a timely manner.
- Promote within the agency and with the general public the philosophy and practice of social rehabilitation.
- Actively nurture and advance the cooperative, harmonious and teamwork oriented environment Caminar strives to promote within the workplace; Through daily efforts and presentation promote an atmosphere of dignity and respect in line with the organization’s mission, philosophy, policies and procedures.
- Perform other related duties, responsibilities and special projects as assigned.
Experience, Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be passionate about Caminar’s mission.
- High School Diploma or GED is required. BA in psychology or related field is preferred.
- A minimum of one year of direct service provision to people with disabilities, preferably in a social rehabilitation or vocational setting is preferred.
- Computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment including email and Internet navigation required. Experience with Human Service Information Systems preferred.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, a professional demeanor and to always represent the organization in a positive manner.
- Must demonstrate acceptable level of maturity, good judgment, boundaries, and emotional stability.
- Problem solving—identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Customer Service—manages difficult customer situations, responds promptly to customer needs and solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Oral and written communication—speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings. Completes written progress notes and other formal communications skillfully and professionally.
- Quality management—looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Planning/organizing—prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Adaptability—adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability—is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and security—actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Must be a dynamic self-starter with demonstrated ability to work independently on special projects.
Physical, Environmental and Mental Requirements:
- Physical: Occasionally required to push/pull objects up to 50 lbs., and to lift/carry objects up to 25 lbs. Frequently required to perform moderately difficult manipulative tasks such as typing, writing, etc. Must be able to walk, stand, sit for extended periods.
- Sensory: Frequently required to read documents, written reports, and plans. Must be able to distinguish normal sounds with some background noise, as in answering the phone, interacting with residents and staff, etc. Must be able to speak clearly and understand/be understood using the English language.
- Cognitive: Frequently required to concentrate on moderate detail with constant interruption. Must be able to attend to a task/function for 20-45 minutes at a time. Frequently required to understand and relate to specific ideas, several at a time. Must be able to remember multiple tasks/assignments given to self and others over a period of several days.
- Environmental Conditions: Frequent exposure to varied office, manufacturing, retail and mixed (residential/office) environments. Occasional exposure to toxins and poisonous substances, dust, and loud noises.
- Equipment: Frequently required to use a computer, phone, and fax machine.
- Must be able to meet and receive a criminal records clearance, as required by Title XXII and Caminar practices.
- This position requires frequent driving. A valid California driver license, reliable personal vehicle, current personal auto insurance as required by law, and an MVR sufficient to obtain and reasonably maintain insurability under agency auto liability policies are all essential job requirements.
- Must be able to pass post offer, pre-employment medical and drug tests as required under State Community Care Licensing regulations and/or agency policies.
- May be required to obtain and maintain First Aid and CPR certification.
Caminar is a leader in providing innovative client-oriented mental health services. We are an equal opportunity employer. Please visit our web site at www.caminar.org
How to Apply: Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Job Coach” as the subject.Minimum Education and Experience