Job Title: Library Assistant
Job Time Type: Full Time (30 Hours or More)
Job Description: Under general supervision, provides a variety of services to patrons; assists public with acquiring the knowledge and skills to utilize available resources of the library; promotes library and its services to accommodate and fulfill the needs of the community.
• Assist patrons with their enquiries and reference requests; processes book requests; researches multiple databases to determine availability of items and correct source of borrowing; administers book checking in and out procedures; authorizes and initiates book renewals; creates new patrons records.
• Identifies unreturned materials that are lost, missing or damaged for removal from computerized database.
• Acts as first point of contact with public in person and by phone; evaluates and refers incoming calls to appropriate staff members; coordinates and communicates with a variety of organizations to promote available library services and programs to the public.
• Processes holds on items requested by patrons; enters information into automated circulation system; advises patrons on status of requests; notifies patrons when items are available; locates and routes materials to other branches as requested.
• Performs routine maintenance on, troubleshoots and installs updates on computers and peripherals; schedules repairs on items beyond the capabilities of library staff; assists patrons in the use of general purpose computers and specialized software; assists information systems technician as required.
• Provides information and interpretation concerning library services, policies and procedures.
• Coordinates and implements recruitment efforts to attract and attain volunteer tutors; trains and supervises volunteers; monitors progress of literacy students and tutors; provides materials, support and recommendations for improvement; conducts follow up action.
• Coordinates and performs work site visits; organizes and conducts outreach programs and activities to include ESL adult literacy, children’s literacy and fundraisers; attends and participates in a variety of meetings, workshops and training sessions.
• Assist librarians and senior library assistants in planning and delivering new projects and programs.
• Identifies, orders and maintains general and specialized offices supplies and equipment; performs minor repair of books and audio visual equipment
• Gathers, compiles and analyzes computerized statistical data for ongoing library records; develops and prepares forms, reports and related documents; maintains and files paperwork; maintains records of grants, letters and other material; searches and utilizes on-line resources sites for programs, reports, activities collection materials and other functions.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements-Education, Certifications and Licenses
• A high school diploma or GED equivalent certificate; some college preferred.
• Two (2) years’ experience in libraries, teaching, bookstores, or working directly with the public.
• A State of California driver’s license may be required.
Education Level: High School Diploma or equivalent
Minimum Salary: $28,454.40 Year Maximum Salary: $38,105.60 Year
Pay Comments: DOE (Depends on Experience)
Job Application Methods Accepted: Via Email
How to Apply: Obtain Extra Help Application from http://www.buttecounty.net/humanresources/. Email completed application to LIB-Administration@buttecounty.net attention to Sandy Thompson SThompson@buttecounty.net.