The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has an immediate need to employ residents of the Sacramento, CA and surrounding area as temporary local hires to assist with disaster response and recovery efforts. Local hire employees are local residents who aid in the recovery of the community and help their fellow citizens in the recovery process. Apply for this exciting opportunity!
Local Hire employees: Help FEMA respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards by performing a variety of emergency management functions which are not limited to disaster survivor assistance, conducting and verifying damage assessments, and providing administrative, financial and logistical support. A local hire’s term of employment is 120 days. Local Hire appointments may be extended, in 120 day increments, for a maximum 365 day appointment, based on the needs of the disaster. Work within 23 different Cadres which are groups of personnel organized by operational function and FEMA Qualification System (FQS) position. Each Local Hire is hired to a position within a Cadre based on his or her skills and experience.
FEMA is seeking candidates with experience in developing key geospatial products.
In this position, you will collect data from internal and external stakeholders to develop and update Geospatial products, such as incident maps, reference maps (political jurisdiction maps and demographics), quantitative and qualitative thematic maps, and interactive map products (Keyhole Markup Language (ML), ArcReader, web mapping, etc.).Typical assignments include:
- Using and applying geospatial software in support of disaster operations.
- Creating, maintaining, and updating geospatial databases and ensuring that data is accurate and from authoritative sources.
- Performing basic geo-processing and analytical tasks such as spatial queries, comparisons, joins, parses, buffer, intersect, and clip.
- Digitizing and geo-referencing data within Geospatial Information System (GIS) software.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to be considered for this position.
- You must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Selective service registration is required for males born after 12/31/59.
- Please review “Other Information” section for additional conditions.
Please ensure you meet the qualification requirements described below. IN ADDITION: Minimum age of eighteen years of age is required. All candidates must be a high school graduate or possess a GED.
- Your resume.
- Your responses to the job questionnaire –You will be directed to the online job questionnaire once you begin the application process for this position.
How to Apply: To begin your online application, click the Apply Online button and follow the prompts to register or sign into USAJOBS, take the online questionnaire, and submit the required documents. See Required Documents section for more detail.
We strongly encourage you to apply online. If you cannot apply online or do not have access to the internet (e.g., applicant experiencing documented system issues, applicant does not have access to the internet, etc.), you may be able to submit a paper application and the required forms. To do so, please contact the Human Resources Specialist listed in the Agency Contact Information prior to the close of this announcement.Minimum Education and Experience