Under general supervision by the Executive Administrator, perform responsible, professional recreation/clerical work, the nature that often requires performance independent of supervision. Provide support to the management staff in planning and conducting District Special Events and marketing and attends community special event meetings as a District representative. Ensures the District remains involved in the community in all aspects. Assist all departments in the marketing of programs, class activities, and /or after-school programs /or citywide special events. Manages and recruits for District volunteer programs. This position also assists the management staff in grant writing processes. This is a part-time up to 29 hours a week position without District benefits.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
- Assists in planning, coordinating, organizing, and promoting special events in the community
- Assist in gathering, analyzing, and reporting information pertinent to the development and scheduling of programs and District events.
- Responsible for promoting the District in a positive light by marketing programs and Special Events through social media, email fliers, posters distribution, and public appearances.
- Manages the District’s social media sources including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google, Constant Contact, press releases, etc.
- Responsible for the production of the District’s monthly newsletter
- Responsible for District customer surveys and requests for better customer service in the District
- Serves as District media spokesperson for television, radio, events, and social media
- Responsible for photo releases of participants and photos of events, classes, programs, etc. to utilize for marketing
- Attends staff meetings and other meetings as necessary to obtain marketing information from all departments
- Plans and forms Special Event committees and meetings as well as agendas and minutes of meetings
- Provides closing reports of all Special Events to Supervisor for review
- Responsible for the production of the District Activity Guide
- Responsible for seeking donations and sponsors for events and marketing materials, including managing advertisers and acquiring new advertisers for the District Activity Guide
- Submits recommendations for marketing/advertising budget and monitors expenditures
- Recruit and assist management with District Volunteer Programs
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of developmentally appropriate methods, practices, equipment, and materials used in recreation programs and Special Events
- Perform physical work and/or athletic activity related to recreation programs and Special Events
- Communication and public relations skills, including excellent customer service
- Maintains a clean driving record with DMV
- Drives district vehicle or personal vehicle as needed to conduct District business
- Knowledge of pertinent District policies and procedures, employee handbook
- Skill in clerical duties including typing keeping statistics, and graphic arts
- Knowledgeable in Adobe, Excel, Publisher, Power Pointe, InDesign, Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Adobe Illustrator
- Skills in planning, organizing, and directing programs/and or special events
- Skill in following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions
- Skill in operating independently and as a team member
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, other District employees, and the public
- Completes necessary reports
- Travel to various sites in the District to complete work activities
- Work irregular hours, shifts, or weekends
- Conduct meetings and telephone conversations with staff, and community members.
- Ability to think creatively
- Ability to compose press releases and distribute them to local media
- Ability to pay attention to details and plan 6-12 months in advance
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, AND LICENSES:
- One year of responsible experience in a variety of recreational and event activities.
- One year of experience working with Microsoft Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Knowledge of principles of marketing, customer service, design, and graphic design
- A valid State of California class ‘C’ driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record is required with proof of insurance.
- High school diploma or GED required
- DOJ background check clearance required before employment
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Work is performed in an indoor and outdoor environment. Working conditions in the field exposed to variations in temperatures, dry, dusty, humidity, high winds, and rain
- May be required to lift and carry items more than 50 pounds (including children)
- Walk, stand, sit, kneel, crawl, bend and climb receptively or over a long period