The City of Redding is seeking a highly qualified journey level person to fill a newly created full time Meter Technician (Certification Rate). Qualified candidates must have completed a five (5) year metering apprenticeship program.
Under general supervision, a journey-level Meter Technician functions in the City’s Electric Utility. This position performs testing, maintenance, repair and installation of the utility’s electric revenue and power quality metering equipment; installs current and voltage transformers with associated equipment and verifies the complete installation to assure accurate metering; understands various electric meters, their operation and methods and equipment used in their testing and repair of AC and DC circuits, applicable electrical codes and must take precautions when working around energized equipment.
*The City of Redding is offering a $10,000 hiring bonus to the successful candidate. $5,000 will be paid upon hire and $5,000 will be paid upon successfully completing a 1 year probation period.
We are looking for someone to
- Repairs, rebuilds, installs, and wires all styles of electricity meters and metering equipment, including transformer rated meters, pulse relays, and recorders
- Performs shop and field tests; operates computers for shop work, field testing and interrogation of metering installations; builds and installs metering programs utilizing various metering software packages.
- Communicate and work with customers, contractors, other City employees and associated government agencies.
- Performs routine field checks of complex industrial meters to ensure proper operation; troubleshoots complex metering schemes.
- Determines types of meters and related material necessary to accurately record electrical energy consumption; receives and issues electric meters and related materials; maintains accurate inventory records; maintains electric meter and departmental instrument histories.
- Investigate power quality complaints; perform load surveys; make minor instrument repairs and calibrations; troubleshoot metering communication issues.
- Install, troubleshoot, repair, upgrade, test, and program telecommunications equipment associated with electric meters.
- Safely work with energized services up to 600 volts.
- Install, test, and provide data interpretation for voltage and current recordings, power quality analyzers, and energy recording at customer and City owned sites.
- Perform low and high voltage work on live circuits and related equipment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications we’re looking for
Ability to: Interact effectively with the public and employees; communicate effectively orally and in writing; demonstrate qualified electrical and electronics background including appropriate use of electrical test instruments, computers, and other measurement devices; perform minor electrical work efficiently and safely; operate small hand tools; operate vehicles, forklifts, bucket trucks and other related equipment; and perform work with skill, efficiency, and safety.
Education & Experience: Any combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying; typical education would include high school diploma, or equivalent, with additional course work in electricity, electronics, and electrician apprenticeship training. Typical experience would include completion of a formal Electric Meter Technician apprenticeship program or five years of relevant journey level experience.
Special Requirements: Possession of the appropriate California driver’s license, or the ability to acquire one within ten days of appointment. Completion of five (5) year metering apprenticeship program. Must be able to enter and work in confined spaces, participate in the Confined Space Program, and perform confined space rescue.
What to expect from the Application and Exam Process
This recruitment is adding to an existing list. If you took and passed the online written exam on or after September 2021, you do not need to re-apply. If you failed the exam you may not re-apply to take the exam during this recruitment.
The City of Redding adheres to Cal/OSHA COVID-19 requirements.