Executive Director Job Description
The Executive Director is the key management leader of Modoc Harvest, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, community outreach, event coordination, and overseeing staff. The position reports to the Board of Directors.
1. Board Governance: Works with the board in order to fulfill Modoc Harvest’s mission
● Responsible for leading Modoc Harvest in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
● Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2. Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization
● Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues sources.
● Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Modoc Harvest, to include a submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
● Responsible for the fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
3. Modoc Harvest Mission and Strategy: Works with board, staff, and volunteers to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
● Responsible for implementation of Modoc Harvest’s programs including Farmers Markets, Food Hub, Farmer Mentorship Program, Heritage Fruit Program, Alturas Community Garden, Education and Cooking Programs, and other future programs.
● Responsible for the enhancement of Modoc Harvest’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
4. Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operation of the organization is appropriate.
● Responsible for hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
● Responsible for effective administration of Modoc Harvest’s operations.
● Responsible for signing all agreements made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
● Responsible for maintaining the non-profit status of the organization.
● Strong financial management skills and experience with Quickbooks.
● Experience working with a Board of Directors.
● Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers, and the overall community.
● Experience with writing successful grants and grant reporting.
● Fundraising experience.
● Strong written and oral communication.
● Strong public speaking ability.
● Ability to establish and maintain relationships with various organizations, schools, and tribes.
● Experience developing and implementing education programs for youth and adults.
● Solid organizational abilities including planning, delegating, and program development.
● Ability to oversee and collaborate with staff and volunteers.
The Executive Director position is 16 to 20 hours per week. The pay rate is $20 to $24 per hour depending on experience. The office is based in Cedarville, CA but the position does allow for some work to be completed at home.
EOEMinimum Education and Experience
About Modoc Harvest
Our mission is to strengthen the communities of Modoc County through
local food access and education.