St. Peter’s Episcopal Church
510 Jefferson Street, Red Bluff, CA 96080
Job Description and Considerations
Overview: The Parish Administrator is a highly organized, self-motivated individual, able to work independently and cooperatively with the clergy-in-charge. The person in this position plays a key role in the day-to-day operations of the church and is often the first point of contact for the public, persons seeking assistance, vendors, and others interested in the life of the church. The Parish Administrator works with church leaders across all areas of ministry and is responsible for the maintenance of church records.
Reports to: Clergy-in-charge (or, in their absence, the Senior Warden)
Hours per week: 20 (4 or 5 days/week)
- 3-5 years prior office management experience strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with the Episcopal Church (or other liturgical traditions, such as Roman Catholic or Lutheran) a plus.
- Comfortable working in a mainline church denomination with female clergy and an active stance on social justice issues.
- AA degree expected, BA preferred
- Strong computer skills. Software: Microsoft Office Suite, including Publisher; MailChimp, Adobe, Canva. QuickBooks a huge plus.
- Familiar with and prepared to manage accounts on social media platforms, esp. Facebook and Instagram.
- Webpage management/design experience preferred, or willingness to learn.
- Effectively manages office communications, including email, and to keep parishioners without internet access connected to parish news and events
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication
- Works well with a wide variety of personalities while maintaining a caring attitude and professional boundaries
- Prepare weekly worship bulletins, distribute electronically, post to website and Facebook; advertise weekly services on Facebook
- Prepare and maintain lay worship leader schedules
- Work closely with altar guide and other congregational ministries
- With clergy, prepare and send out weekly email to congregation
- Ensure that members who do not use the Internet receive timely information
- Answer telephone and direct calls and messages to proper parties
- Respond to email inquiries
- Manage web content and social media (in cooperation with clergy)
- Receive visitors during normal working hours
- Collect and sort mail
- Prepare check requests
- Process gift acknowledgement letters
- Maintain and order office supplies
- Maintain church member database and all other church records
- Manage and coordinate building use, including the process of facility use agreements for parish buildings
The ideal candidate will also possess basic book-keeping skills and/or the ability and desire to learn. This requires familiarity with QuickBooks. A salary upgrade is available in this situation. Additional duties would include paying regular bills and working with church Treasurer to prepare monthly and annual financial reports.
Salary and Benefits: Starting salary: $20,000 (after probationary period)
Pension (5% of salary, plus option for employee contribution with employer matching up to an additional 4%)
2 weeks (40 hours) annual paid time off (may accrue to 80 hours)
24 hours annual sick leave (does not accrue)
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter via email to The Rev. Julie Wakelee, Priest-in-Charge at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled. Posted April 29, 2021.Minimum Education and Experience