Patient Services Representative
Lassen Medical Clinic/Red Oaks Medical Group
Red Bluff, CA
Full-time Position / Monday – Friday
Wage: Starts at $15.50 per hour, DOE
Benefits: PTO, Health, Dental, Vision, Long Term Disability, Life and AD&D, Retirement
The Patient Services Representative is a non-exempt, entry level, general clerical position. Under direct supervision is responsible for the daily activities of the medical front office including anticipating and responding
to patient needs including coordinating the details of patients’ visits through collaboration of appointment schedules, patient preparation, completing pre-exam record information, managing the flow of patient materials, communicating scheduling delays or changes, telephone coverage, and serving as a direct contact and resource to the patient.
Job duties are routine in nature, but situation may vary occasionally; policy and procedure provide direction for solving non-routine situations. Employee is expected to consult management for any situation which precedent does not exist. Job duties involve routine interaction with others, including providing assistance, and limited direction. Contacts are generally cordial and non-confrontational. Employee may be required to perform the
duties of other employees in their absence. Employee may be required to perform duties and responsibilities not listed in this description on a temporary or long-term basis.
1. Knowledge of clinic policies and procedures
2. Knowledge of basic computer skills
3. Knowledge of multi-line phone system
1. General customer service skills
2. Basic writing and proof reading skills
3. Comprehensive communication skills including oral, written, and non-verbal communication skills
4. Effective phone etiquette skills
1. Ability to read, understand and record patient and medical information accurately is required.
2. Ability to communicate information accurately and to respond accurately to questions from coworkers, patients, clients, physicians and the general public is required.
3. Ability to calculate figures such as balancing drawer and batches
4. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists is required. Ability to understand and interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram and or schedule form is required.
5. Ability to effectively communicate and follow oral and written instructions.
6. Ability to type a minimum of 50 WPM
7. Will complete the “Orientation Skills Check off List” within three months of employment.
Major Duties and Accountabilities:
1. Obtains current patient information from established and new patients
a. Accurately enters/updates patient information in practice management system
b. Identify payer source, verifies insurance eligibility, financial status, and assign correct pay type.
c. Assist patients with completion of paperwork when necessary
d. Notes patient arrival in EMR system
2. Accurately prescreens patient records
a. Print schedules for upcoming appointments; when necessary
b. Verify insurance eligibility and obtain authorization for dates of service
c. Review patient documents for needed updated demographics and consent forms
d. Review upcoming appointments for necessity; adjust when appropriate
3. Schedules appointments
a. Identify patient by date of birth and name in system
b. Create new account if patient is not in the system
c. Schedule and re-schedule appointments as needed
d. Complete next day appointment confirmation calls in accordance with department scripting in a
e. Abide by the most current no show, cancellation, reschedule policy
f. Perform prescreening for same day appointments
4. Routinely demonstrates superior customer service skills
a. Answers telephone in a timely and polite manner; meet the KPI goals for the phone management system
b. Communicates with patients in a courteous, professional, cooperative, and mature manner.
c. Recognize and respond appropriately to violent/abusive situation, fire, and emergency situations.
d. Accurately takes messages and conveys information to recipient
e. Transfers call to clinical staff when medically indicated.
5. Protects/observes patient confidentiality per policies and procedures.
6. Process information into Electronic Medical Record
a. Categorizes, dates, and labels loose medical documents
b. Scans loose medical documents per protocol
c. Accurately imports registration documents into patient’s electronic health record.
7. Demonstrates the ability to collect office charges, post charges, to patient accounts and accurately manage cash drawer
a. Accurately posts patient payments to account
b. Accurately reconciles daily batch and prepares daily batch reports according to policies
c. Abide by the most current Financial Collection process
8. Support the goals of the vision of the company
a. Abide by the requests of the Quality Service Program Liaison to ensure certification in organizations
b. Abide by the guidelines of Meaningful Use as outlined by the Director of Clinical Integration
9. Receptive to change
1. Customer Service Demonstrates the highest standards for friendly, courteous and caring interaction with patients, physicians, customers, and fellow employees.
2. Safety/Infection Control Observes all safety rules and practices and encourages safe practices in dealing with all patients, visitors, and employees. Conforms to current infection control policies
3. Communication Demonstrates ability to accept and understand instructions, expresses self clearly and concisely.
4. Attendance/Punctuality Is seldom tardy and /or absent. Attends mandatory in-service programs and/or committees as assigned
5. Adaptability/Flexibility Demonstrates the ability to cope with pressure, grasp new ideas and methods, and adjust responses to meet the changing work environment.
6. Confidentiality Assures patient and clinic confidentiality
7. Independence/initiative Demonstrates reliability, follow through, ability to work with minimum supervision, and desire and ability to accept additional responsibility.
8. Judgment Contacts Makes sound and timely decisions regarding one’s work, personal appearance, and demeanor
9. Emotional Intelligence Maintains basic emotional and social competencies to include self awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy, and social skills.
Equipment operated; Standard office equipment including computers, faxes, copiers, printers, telephones, etc.
High school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent work experience. Experience in the medical field is preferred. Customer service experience is preferred.
Physical: While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and to stand, to manipulate and operate office and medical equipment including telephones and computers, to reach, to greet and to assist patients, walk and move up and down from surfaces of uneven height, and
occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty (20) to twenty-five (25) pounds. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee will be in contact with patients who may have infectious agents.
To Apply: Visit www.RedOaksMedical.com for more information and to apply.