Job Description: Direct Support Staff
Reports to: House Supervisor
Job Status: Full or Part time, non-exempt level position
Provides direct personal care to disabled adults. Responsible for assisting consumers with daily life activities according to company and industry standards.
Essential Functions: (level of assistance needed will vary based on individual consumer abilities/health):
- Assist the consumer with personal hygiene needs including bathing, toileting and dental care.
- Assist the consumer with dressing and undressing in temperature appropriate clothing.
- Assist the consumer with preparation and/or consumption of meals, snacks and beverages.
- Assist the consumer with physically transferring in/out of bed, chairs, wheelchairs and when using the toilet.
- Assist the consumer by accurately administering prescribed medications and following documentation protocols.
- Assist the consumer with using the telephone or other communication devices.
- Assist the consumer with increasing their skills in independently completing daily life and social activities.
- Maintain consumer documentation in a timely, thorough and accurate manner.
- Maintain the consumer household in a sanitary, orderly manner by completing household cleaning assignments in all areas of the home and including consumer laundry.
- Assist the consumer with shopping and personal errands.
- Assist the consumer with transportation and/or supervision during community outings/activities.
- Assist the House Supervisor with consumer medical appointments.
- Report “special incidents” in an accurate and timely manner following Regional Center and CLO protocols.
- Communicate with family members, other providers and/or agencies as directed by the House Supervisor and/or Program Director.
- Provide input for consumer assessments and meetings.
- Attend and actively participate in staff and company meetings.
- Attend and actively participate in continuing education courses.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements:
- Ability to read, speak and write in English.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to earn and maintain current CPR/1st Aid certifications.
- Ability to complete a minimum of ten hours of continuing education every calendar year.
- Must have sincere interest in working with disabled adults.
- Must submit to and receive clearance from a fingerprint-based background check.
- Must submit to and receive clearance from a post-employment physical and TB test.
Financial Responsibility and Authority:
- May assist consumer with purchasing personal, food and household items as directed by the House Supervisor.
- Must comply with strict internal accounting procedures regarding consumer finances.
Physical Requirements/Typical Working Conditions:
- Environment: Primarily a temperature-controlled private residence.
- Equipment: May be required to learn and properly use various medical equipment (Hoyer lift, wheelchair, oxygen tanks, etc.) in addition to standard household tools (oven, stove, vacuum), computer equipment (monitor, mouse and keyboard), and telephone.
- Essential Physical Tasks:
- Sight – sufficient to read physical documents, medication information/instructions on bottles/pill containers/tubes, images displayed on a computer monitor, and assess physical conditions/health of a consumer
- Smell – sufficient to discern smoke/something burning, and assess physical conditions/health of a consumer
- Hear – sufficient to hold face to face/telephone conversations and respond to a consumer calling from another room
- Taste – sufficient to determine if food is over/under seasoned or safe to serve
- Touch – sufficient to determine temperature of liquids/food, operate computer equipment, writing implements, and assess physical conditions/health of a consumer
- Physical ability/strength – sufficient to lift/carry/push/pull/twist/turn/reach/climb/kneel/ squat/sit/walk/stand/bend as needed throughout a standard shift.
How to Apply: Email resume in MS Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “CLO Direct Support Staff” as the subject.
Community Living Options, Inc.Minimum Education and Experience