The Plumas Eureka Community Services District (District) is recruiting for the position of General Manager. The position is open until filled. The salary is between $80,000 and $120,000 depending on qualifications. Benefits include: health, vision, and dental insurance; PERS retirement; vacation and sick leave.
PECSD serves residents and businesses of Plumas Eureka by providing water, sewer, fire protection and emergency services. The District is governed by a five-member Board of Directors and has a budget of $1.3 million. The District employs 5 full-time employees, including the General Manager, and up to 15 volunteers for the Fire Department. The water system currently has two source wells. A water treatment plant is planned to be built in the next year. The sewer system has two treatment plants (one requires a Grade III operator) three lift stations, and three leach fields. The Fire Department has three fire-fighting units, a medical response unit, and a command vehicle. All services are located in the fire station at 200 Lundy Lane Blairsden, CA.
This position requires a highly-motivated, strategic, and organized individual who will report directly to the District Board of Directors. The General Manager (GM) plans and manages the affairs of the District, implements Board direction and policy, coordinates with local organizations, regulators and the public, negotiates contracts with consultants and contractors, and leads and supervises staff. The GM creates an annual budget and makes recommendations to the Board on final expenditure levels; prioritizes initiatives and resources in consultation with the Board; ensures that the District complies with all federal, state and local laws and regulations; and ensures District property is properly managed. The GM also ensures that the community is informed of District plans and programs and works with local volunteer organizations, within the scope of the District’s
authority, to help improve the quality of life in the community. The GM is the Executive Officer of the District and for the Board of Directors, as such, sets meeting dates, develops agendas, and attends all meetings of the District’s Board. The GM employs personnel deemed necessary for the proper administration of theDistrict and operation of the facilities and equipment of the District in accordance with Board policy. The position GM maintains cordial relations with all persons entitled to the services of the District, and attempts to resolve all public and employee complaints.
Knowledge and understanding of
1) government function and administration including governance by a board, budgeting, transparency (the Brown Act), financial management, and human resources
2) utility operation including facilities, major equipment, personnel management, relevant statutes and regulations, rate setting and collection, and customer service
3) emergency management including the incident command system, basic emergency equipment, emergency volunteer organization.
4) have five (5) years experience in an increasingly responsible public agency management position.
The ability to
1) communicate, both written and verbal, with the constituents and other agency personnel; and the ability to meet and serve the public courteously.
2) efficiently use a computer and software to prepare data spreadsheets, perform word processing, perform Internet research, and utilize email communication.
The possession of:
1) Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Engineering, Business, or related field (an Associate’s degree can be substituted with ten years of relevant work
2) State of California Driver’s License
The possession of one or more of the following:
1) State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) Wastewater Treatment Plant
Operator Certificate, Grade III or higher
2) SWRCB Water Distribution Operator Certificate D2 or higher
3) SWRCB Water Treatment Plant Operator certificate T2, T3, T4, or T5
4) FEMA ICS 100 and ICS 200 Certification
5) Master’s Degree in public administration, engineering, or related field
EOEMinimum Education and Experience
About Plumas Eureka Community Services District
The community of Plumas Eureka is located in Blairsden, CA in southern Plumas County, a mile from the Plumas Eureka State Park. The community is surrounded by federally owned forest land. The Middle Fork of the Feather River forms the
community’s easterly boundary. The community is at an elevation of 4500 feet and snow occurs from November through April. Summers are warm. The community has 575 residences with a population that ranges from 400 in the winter months to over 1200 in the summer months. The community surrounds a privately owned 18-hole golf course, the Plumas Pines Golf Resort. Longboard ski races are held three times annually at the ski hill in the nearby state park. The Graeagle-Blairsden area is noted for camping, fishing, hiking, biking, golf, cross-country and back country skiing, good restaurants, unique breweries, farmers markets, and music festivals. The community is sixty miles from Reno, fifty miles from Truckee and Lake Tahoe and twenty-five miles from the Plumas County seat of Quincy, California. Schools serving the area are in Portola, California, 10 miles away.