$10,000 Lateral Signing Bonus!!!
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The City of Susanville has an exciting career opportunity for a Police Officer to join the Susanville Police Department. The Department is seeking a Police Officer whom will, under the general supervision of a Police Sergeant, perform law enforcement and crime prevention work; control traffic flow and enforce State and local traffic regulation; and related work as assigned.
• Must be at least 21 years old
• High School or equivalent GED
• No felony convictions
• A United States Citizen
• Meet Physical Requirements
• Meet Residency Policy Requirements
• Certificate of Completion from a California P.O.S.T.
Certified Basic Police Officers Academy*
• Valid California Driver’s License
*Those currently enrolled in the academy are eligible to apply
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Patrols city in radio car or on foot;
Answers calls for the protection of life, property and the enforcement of City, County and State laws;
May conduct preliminary investigations of disturbances, prowlers, burglaries, theft, holdups, vehicle accidents, death and other criminal incidents;
Makes arrests as necessary; interviews victims, complainants, and witnesses; interrogates suspects; gathers and preserves evidence; testifies and presents evidence in court;
Operates crime and photography laboratory equipment in the course of investigations; prepares reports of arrests made, investigations conducted, and unusual incidents observed;
Serves warrants and subpoenas;
While on patrol, stops drivers who are operating vehicles in violation of laws; warns drivers against unlawful practices; issues citations and makes arrest as necessary; checks building for physical security, receives, searches, books, fingerprints, and transports prisoners; directs traffic at fires, special events,
and other emergency or congested situations;
Administers first aid in emergency situations;
Impounds and may release stolen or abandoned bicycles;
Maintains contact with citizens regarding potential law enforcement problems and preserves good relationships with general public;
May assist in special enforcement problems in matters relating to crime prevention and law enforcement.
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE WITH THE FOLLOWING AND ABILITY TO:
• Police methods and procedures, including patrol, crime prevention, traffic control, investigation and identification techniques, and police records and reports
• Criminal law with particular reference to the apprehension, arrest, and custody of persons committing misdemeanors and felonies, including rules of evidence pertaining to the search and seizure and the preservation and presentation of evidence in traffic and criminal cases.
• Observe accurately and remember names, faces, numbers, incidents, and places
• Use and care of firearms
• Think and act quickly in emergencies, and judge situations and people accurately
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
• Understand and carry out oral and written directions
• Meet standards of physical statue, endurance, and agility established by the City of Susanville Police Department
• Learn, understand, and interpret laws and regulations
• Prepare accurate and grammatically correct written reports
• Learn standard broadcasting procedures of a police radio system
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The annual salary range for the Police Officer position is $46,519.20 to $77,619.36 plus an excellent
benefits package. Placement within the range dependent upon education, experience, and applicable
certifications. The City provides the following benefits:
• Vacation: 17 days of paid vacation leave the first year, increasing to 20 days in year five and increasing
to 25 days in year ten and to 30 days after fifteen full years of service
• Sick Leave: Leave is accrued at 5.54 hours per pay period for a total of 144 hour allowance per
Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance: The City offers excellent Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance.
Employee currently pays $25 per month and receives medical, dental and vision coverage for employee,
spouse, and eligible dependents. Medical insurance currently 90/10 plan, with annual deductible of $150
(individual) and $450 (family), annual maximum out of pocket $3,000 (individual), $6,000 (family)
Life Insurance: The City provides a $40,000 ($15,000 with Health Coverage and $25,000 additional) term
life insurance policy.
Retirement: The City participates in the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS). For
legacy members the benefit level is 3% @50 with a current employee contribution of 9%. For new
members, the benefit level is 2.7% @57 with a current employee contribution rate of 11.5% of gross
salary per pay period.
Holidays: 14 paid holidays per year
Deferred Compensation: Voluntary plans available including IRS Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan
Miscellaneous: Additional benefits include 7/12 work schedule, uniform allowance, on-site gym,
continuing education reimbursement, specialty assignment pay, education incentives, longevity pay, sick
leave incentive program, and night differential pay.
To qualify for the bonus, the applicant must:
• Be currently employed as a police officer within California law enforcement agency.
• Have two (2) years of experience and have successfully completed a probationary period.
• Possess a Basic California POST Certificate
• If the applicant is a former Susanville Officer who wishes to return to the department, his/her
separation of employment must be at least eighteen (18) months to qualify.
The bonus will consist of the following:
Signing bonus of $10,000 with payments in The following increments:
$2,500 – upon employment
$2,500 – upon successful completion of probation
$5,000 – upon three (3) years of service
This is an Ongoing Recruitment Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants MUST submit a cover letter, resume, and City standard
application in person or by mail at the following address:
City of Susanville
Attn: City Clerk
66 North Lassen Street
Susanville, CA 96130-3904
Applications are available at the address above or at www.cityofsusanville.org.
Candidates with questions may contact City Hall at (530) 252-5103.
The City of Susanville does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.
EOEMinimum Education and Experience