Salary and Benefits
$16.49 – $19.79 per hour, plus benefits
Duties and Responsibilities
The Probation Assistant assists the Deputy Probation Officers, Supervising Probation Officers, and Deputy Chief Probation Officer. The major duties of the job include:
- Observe and record information concerning behavior, attitude, appearance, interests and skills and maintain necessary logs and reports.
- Assists with transporting probationers for Probation Officers to appointments as needed.
- Perform clerical duties related to department activities, such as answering telephones, typing, data entry, database management and filing. Help manage evidence collection and storage.
- Supervise work crews within the community.
- Monitor juvenile offenders’ compliance of probation terms as needed by probation officers.
- Assist custody staff in emergency situations.
- Observe and record information concerning juveniles’ behavior, attitude, appearance, interests and skills and maintain necessary logs and reports.
- Transport juveniles for court appearances, placements and appointments as needed.
- Monitor and arrange for release and transportation of juvenile offenders.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. a typical way to obtain the required experience and education would be:
Experience: Six months of experience working with adult and/or juvenile offenders.
Education: Equivalent to an Associate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in criminology, sociology, psychology, social work, criminal justice or a related field.
License: Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
- Willingness and availability to work occasionally on the weekend.
- Sufficient strength and dexterity to physically restrain hostile individuals.
- Mental stability to deal with emotionally charged, potentially verbally abusive individuals.
- Must have no prior felony convictions unless fully pardoned.
- Must be of good moral character as determined by a thorough examination of background, therefore including fingerprint check.
- Must pass a physical and psychological examination.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident who is eligible for and has applied for U.S. Citizenship.
Application materials will be reviewed, and the best-qualified applicants will be invited to Susanville to participate in interviews.
How to Apply
It is your responsibility to provide specific, accurate and complete information describing how you meet the minimum qualifications. The required Lassen County application is available at our website at http://lassencounty.org. In Personnel Services, or available by visiting our application center at the address below. Qualified applicants are invited to submit an official Lassen County application to:
Lassen County Personnel Department (530) 251 -8320
221 South Roop Street
Susanville, California 96130
Opened March 20, 2020
Lassen County is an equal opportunity employer hiring employment eligible applicants.
Disabled applicants who require special testing arrangements should contact the Personnel Department prior to the filing deadline.
In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, applicants must provide acceptable proof of identity or authorization to work in the United States.
A thorough background investigation will be conducted post-conditional offer of employment. The investigation may include reference checks, fingerprinting, credit check, driver history and inquiry to local, state and federal files to obtain criminal history information.
All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the selection process.
Selection processes may include, but are not limited to, one or more of the following: application review, competitive screening, written examination, performance examination, and/or oral examination.
This bulletin is solely for the purpose of announcing a job opening. It does not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained herein may be modified or revised without notice.